setting up a local news server using innd

setting up a local news server using innd

Post by Toyle » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:05:39

Are there easy-to-follow steps to setup innd?
I followed the how-to instructions in isc.org, and couldn't even
get the news daemon up. No error message in /var/log/news.d

I did get bind up, though.

Post by Ian Jone » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:45:05

setting up a local news server using innd

Post by Toyle » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:59:21

leafnode merely mirrors usenet news.
I want to set up my own little news groups.

Quote:>>I followed the how-to instructions in isc.org, and couldn't even
>>get the news daemon up. No error message in /var/log/news.d

Don't worry, it's for internal use only.
port 53 was blocked.
Quote:> Save yourself some hassle and go find leafnode. It is very easy to use.

Post by Ian Jone » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:26:47

setting up a local news server using innd

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:12:45

Hi!,

Quote:> Are there easy-to-follow steps to setup innd?
> I followed the how-to instructions in isc.org, and couldn't even
> get the news daemon up. No error message in /var/log/news.d

> I did get bind up, though.

Personally, I would suggest using something like: LeafNode.  I suspect as you
will have discovered, setting up INND is no walk in the park.  Additionally,
you might also want to take a look at the inn-faq document which is posted on
the net.

See ya

Dean Thompson

setting up a local news server using innd

Post by Toyle » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:14:44

I am trying... trying...

leafnode doesn't allow setting up of local news (not yet).
any alternative like innd (other than window$ stuff$)

Post by B'iche » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:10:54

>I am trying... trying...

>leafnode doesn't allow setting up of local news (not yet).
>any alternative like innd (other than window$ stuff$)

        Try C-news. I got the latest with the y2k patches. This is a
simpler product than INN! I know, I tried to install INN and switched
to C-news. C-news also directly works with a previously leafnode news
spool (you will need to write new configs but not new messages). I may
take my patched source and place it on ftp://metalab.unc.edu as soon
as I have time. C-News is used with suck to post and get newsgroups
from a nntp news server. You could also consider if you want to spend
a little green on D-news the commercial news server that was based on
C-news. Feed this with your nntp news server package  for your own
nntp clients. Again there is y2k patches for nntpd also.

--

                        B'ichela