SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet adapter

Post by Rets » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know if linux supports the SMC EtherPower Ethernet adapter?
If so what do I need to get it working under Linux? I've included all the SMC
drivers in my current kern (1.3.32) and it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Any help will be appreciated,

Jacque Bussey

SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet adapter

Post by Derric Sco » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The Ethernet-HOWTO specifically mentions the card and how to get it going.
It works fine!  Also, do as the HOWTO suggests and get the latest version
of the "tulip.c" driver from Donald Beckers (sp?) site and stick it in
the kernel source tree before compiling. (ie. I used that driver - there is
another one included/mentioned in the HOWTO that is supposed to work as
well).

Later

Derric

--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

Post by Andy Conno » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>The Ethernet-HOWTO specifically mentions the card and how to get it going.
>It works fine!  Also, do as the HOWTO suggests and get the latest version
>of the "tulip.c" driver from Donald Beckers (sp?) site and stick it in
>the kernel source tree before compiling. (ie. I used that driver - there is
>another one included/mentioned in the HOWTO that is supposed to work as
>well).

Just looked at tulip.c - looks like it doesn't need to be modified to
support the EtherPower with kernel 1.3.20...  here's what is says:

/*
   NOTICE: this version works with kernels 1.1.82 and later only!
        Written 1994,1995 by Donald Becker.

        This driver is for the SMC EtherPower PCI ethernet adapter.
        It should work with most other DEC 21*40-based ethercards.

*/

>>Does anyone know if linux supports the SMC EtherPower Ethernet adapter?
>>If so what do I need to get it working under Linux? I've included all the SMC
>>drivers in my current kern (1.3.32) and it doesn't seem to recognize it.

-Andy.

Post by John Burt » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

   >The Ethernet-HOWTO specifically mentions the card and how to get it going.
   >It works fine!  Also, do as the HOWTO suggests and get the latest version
   >of the "tulip.c" driver from Donald Beckers (sp?) site and stick it in
   >the kernel source tree before compiling. (ie. I used that driver - there is
   >another one included/mentioned in the HOWTO that is supposed to work as
   >well).

   Just looked at tulip.c - looks like it doesn't need to be modified to
   support the EtherPower with kernel 1.3.20...  here's what is says:

   /*
      NOTICE: this version works with kernels 1.1.82 and later only!
           Written 1994,1995 by Donald Becker.

           This driver is for the SMC EtherPower PCI ethernet adapter.
           It should work with most other DEC 21*40-based ethercards.

   */

The problem is that the tulip.c driver (v0.10) from Donald Becker does
not work off the shelf with kernel versions > 1.3.4? (not sure where
it broke). The problem is with a call to init_etherdev, which has a
prototype in tulip.c of:

 /* This will be in linux/etherdevice.h someday. */
 struct device *init_etherdev(struct device *dev, int sizeof_private,
                                                         unsigned long *mem_startp);

Unfortunately the prototype is already in linux/etherdevice.h as:

 extern struct device    * init_etherdev(struct device *, int);

and the routine is defined in net_init.c as:

 struct device *
 init_etherdev(struct device *dev, int sizeof_priv)
 {

In tulip.c init_etherdev is called with 3 parameters. A suggestion was
made to simply comment out the #include <linux/etherdevice.h> line in
tulip.c. This works, and it will run (at least I haven't had problems
*yet* - keeping my fingers crossed. From a program correctness point
of view, it is wrong to pass three parameters to a routine that only
accepts two...it just leaves you open for undefined behavior.

Suggestions?

John

--
John Burton                      GATS, Inc.

(804) 865-7491 (voice)           (804) 865-1021 (fax)

Post by bill davids » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

| The problem is that the tulip.c driver (v0.10) from Donald Becker does
| not work off the shelf with kernel versions > 1.3.4? (not sure where
| it broke). The problem is with a call to init_etherdev, which has a
| prototype in tulip.c of:
|
|  /* This will be in linux/etherdevice.h someday. */
|  struct device *init_etherdev(struct device *dev, int sizeof_private,
|                                                          unsigned long *mem_startp);
|
| Unfortunately the prototype is already in linux/etherdevice.h as:
|
|  extern struct device    * init_etherdev(struct device *, int);
|
| and the routine is defined in net_init.c as:
|
|  struct device *
|  init_etherdev(struct device *dev, int sizeof_priv)
|  {

The comment is right, it is in the header file. But isn't the TR
code in there as well? I haven't tried 1.3.x on a TR system, but I
was told it had the driver, I which case adding tulip.c might not be
needed.

Clarification someone?

| In tulip.c init_etherdev is called with 3 parameters. A suggestion was
| made to simply comment out the #include <linux/etherdevice.h> line in
| tulip.c. This works, and it will run (at least I haven't had problems
| *yet* - keeping my fingers crossed. From a program correctness point
| of view, it is wrong to pass three parameters to a routine that only
| accepts two...it just leaves you open for undefined behavior.

Agreed, although passing one parameter too many is a lot safer than
one too few, since it sends data not used vs. using data not sent.
The next question is, what is being used for the mem_startp address?
And do you need to be doing this at all?
--

I will support laws and technology which limit what you are allowed
to hear, if you will oppose laws and technology limiting what I am

1. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapters

Hi,

    After re-built the Linux kernel, finally I have my SMC EtherPower
PCI Ethernet Adapters work on my Gateway 2000 PC.  However, if I ftp
a large file or use "mget *" with prompt off.  Sometime my system
crash !!!  I need to turn off the power and turn on to reboot it :(
This happened even I am not login as root !

    Any suggestion ???  Does someone have similar problem with SMC
PCI card ?  Thanks.

    Kuang-chun Cheng

2. dosemu problems?

3. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Card (Model: SMC8432BT Chipset: DEC21041)

4. using EasyCD Creator (PC) to burn a Unix CD ??

5. Ethernet card detection problems (RH7, SMC EtherPower II PCI (9432))

6. Sample APUE Programs under AIX

7. SMC PCI Ethernet Adapter, Need Help

8. Sun Keyboard and KDE

9. share IRQ of SMC PCI Ethernet Card(DEC 21041) + SCSI Host Adapter

10. SMC EtherPower Adapter

11. SMC EtherPower (PCI)

12. Linux Bootdisk for AHA2940 and SMC EtherPower (PCI)

13. SMC EtherPower PCI network