DHCP Client and Server, two nics, one Linux machine-->configuration problem

DHCP Client and Server, two nics, one Linux machine-->configuration problem

Post by David Gira » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I am using my RedHat Linux 5.0 box to Manage my connections to the
internet (via CableModem).  My machine is setup as follows:

Two Ethernet Adapters,  One connected to the Cable Modem, the other
connected to a small hub which connects to my home pc's.

I have successfully gotten the DHCPCd working, and am using IP Masq to
drive my home machines.

My wife and I both have laptop's which, while at work, are granted
their IP addresses via DHCP (they're both Win95).  Rather than have to
re-code the IP address and re-boot TWICEa day, I would like to provide
addresses with DHCPD to my Internal Masq'd network.

My problem is as follows:

When I start the DHCPD daemon, it does provide IP addresses to my
internal machines, but it also seems to be providing IP addresses to
SOME other machines?!  After a very short time, my DHCPD.LEASES file
shows several unknown (to me) machines that have been granted leases.
I am assuming that it is actually trying to hand out addresses to
other cable modems! (very bad!)....

My dhpcd.conf file appears as follows:

***---BEGIN dhcpd.conf---
server-identifier downunder;

shared-network TEN {
   subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
       option routers 192.168.100.100 ;
       range 192.168.100.10 192.168.100.20 ;
  }

Quote:}

***---END---

The hostname downunder has been defined in my hosts file as
192.168.100.100, which is the IP address of the adapter connected to
my home network.

I cannot seem to find any information in the dhcp docs that explains
how to force dhcp to only issue ip address for a single adapter.  Or
do I need to Ipfwadm to assign some kind of input filter for dhcpd
packets....(but can i do this without disruping the dhcpcd that's also
running on this machine?)...

Any advice here would be helpfull!

Thanks
-David Girard.

1. Connecting two machines:; Client only communicate with server when server continuously pings client.

Server:
Linux 2.0.29
Smc Etherez 8149
Loadable module for smc ultra v2.00
Crossover wires or smc hub and store bought cables
No Dns
No Error messages on boot up
No Error messages in logs
No problems networking locally in the server
No problem pinging the client (Linux/win)

Client:
Linux 2.0.29/Win
3com etherlink3 lan+33.6 3C562D/3C563D (pcmcia)
Pcmcia Card Services v2.9.2 or higher to version that supports the card
specifically.
No Dns
No Error messages on boot up
No Error messages in logs
No problems networking locally in the client

Problem:
Unless the Server is continuously pinging clients ip # ,
the client will comunicate with the server for a few moments, then stop.
Once I start pinging the client from the server they communicate fine.

When I run both machines in win with NetBEUI, it runs as smooth as silk.

Thanks Harley

2. NI6510 (Racal Interlan) TROUBLE

3. Simple client/server socket program works on one Linux machine, it doesnot work on other machine

4. pppd on solaris X86 / Thinkpad

5. One DHCP Server for clients on two subnets

6. COMMERCIAL: New Trans-Ameritech Supplement #3! Linux for $10

7. RH5.2: Two NICs, one DHCP, one static IP

8. kde 2.01 menu disruption

9. two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

10. Dhcp problem between Linux DHCP Server & Linux client

11. Two NIC cards on one Linux machine

12. One DHCP server - two interfaces - two subnets

13. DHCP Linux server/Win98 client configuration questions