How can I create a "Public" folder to users in Samba Server?

How can I create a "Public" folder to users in Samba Server?

Post by Relax.i » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:19:54

Hi all,

I installed a RedHat 7.2 box to be our Samba File server. We all have one
folder just for ourselves. At the same time, we need a public folder, in
which we can save some public files that we all need to check and modify.
So I create a partition mounted as "/public" and run "chmod 777 /public".
But when different samba users connect to *public* folder, it is found that
every user can read all the files, but they don't have right to modify the
files saved by another user. That means, if user A save a file on "/public",
user B can read it rather than modification to it.
My question is how to make this public folder REALLY "PUBLIC"?

relax

How can I create a "Public" folder to users in Samba Server?

Post by John Armstron » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:39:04

Quote:>Hi all,

>I installed a RedHat 7.2 box to be our Samba File server. We all have one
>folder just for ourselves. At the same time, we need a public folder, in
>which we can save some public files that we all need to check and modify.
>So I create a partition mounted as "/public" and run "chmod 777 /public".
>But when different samba users connect to *public* folder, it is found that
>every user can read all the files, but they don't have right to modify the
>files saved by another user. That means, if user A save a file on "/public",
>user B can read it rather than modification to it.
>My question is how to make this public folder REALLY "PUBLIC"?

>relax

Probably several ways.
You could use "guest only" or "force user" so all access is done using
the same user ID.
you could use "force create mode = 0777" and "force directory mode =
0777" to set the permissions for new files.

--
John

1. help with making "public" folder rw access using samba

Hi to everybody!

I just recently installed a samba server ver 2.2.3a on red hat.
Everything seems to be working fine except that I don't have write
access to the public folder.  Here's  the config for the public
folder:

    [public]
       path = /opt/public
       public = yes
       only guest = yes
       writable = yes
       printable = no

Is there anything more I need to add here?  Your feedbacks are greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!

2. Multia gives 'lca' errors

4. PPP conection sharing ??

6. $7 Redhat Linux

7. how to link from "public" apache/linux to "private" iis

8. Newbee can't get netscape to execute.

9. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".

10. USING SENDMAIL "user@domain.com" vs. "user@host.domain.com"

11. userdel : "user" is in use, but "user" isn't logged

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

13. Pine: Folder Lock/Read Only for "users" (not root)