Network configuration

Post by Richard James Du » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I'm a new user to Linux and had a problem with setting up my
ethernet network connection.

I have a PCI fast ethernet DECchip 21140 based adapter, and I believe
it is made by DEC itself.  Per the HOWTO, I loaded the tulip driver
module into my kernel.  That worked fine, all the error messages on
boot up disappeared.

I set up the TCP/IP settings, which I am sure are correct, since I
have been using them for quite some time with Win95 networking.

My computer will ping itself fine, so I know that the loopback
settings are at least working fine.  However, the computer
refuses to connect to the outside world.  I cannot even ping my
gateway.

There is no apparent reason for this error, I get no error messages
on boot or anytime else (even the "network unreachable" message
has disappeared).  I am running dual OSs with Win95, and can
connect just fine with 95.

A possibly related symptom is that running "netstat -a" does not
work as expected.  It prints out the setting for local and loopback,
and then locks up, forcing a ^C.  I'm sure this is not its correct
behavior.

If anyone has any clue as to what's been causing this problem,
I would really appreciate a reply.  Thanks in advance.

                        Richard Dunn

1. network configuration - how do I see a solaris 8 box from my windows network?

Hi,

Please excuse a question from a complete unix novice.  We have a Win2K
network (the server and all clients are Win2k) and a E250 running
Solaris 8 on which resides various databases etc.  Until recently the
network was set up a certain way using TCP/IP and static addresses for
all boxes.  We recently re-built the network (in the logical sense)
changing the address of our Win2K server, our subnet etc and using
DHCP.  Can anyone advise on how we might keep the existing static
address on our Unix box and connect to it from the Win2K machines?

Thanks in advance

Rod J. Stewart

2. (no subject)

3. Connecting to the @Home network/General network configuration

4. RHCE Prep

5. FreeBSD network configuration help needed!

6. Intel Extended Express 2 x 133MHz CPU & SNP

7. Trouble with network configuration

8. samba (on SuSE 6.2)

9. Would now like to install network configuration

10. WIERD NETWORK CONFIGURATION PROBLEM....

11. problem in network configuration

12. Network Configuration

13. network configuration