PLIP disappeared

Post by Dr. Raimund K. E » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 23:41:46

PLIP disappeared on me: I had not used it for quite some time to
connect my LapTop to my Linux home PC. Whenever I upgraded my
kernel I faithfully entered 'Y' for PLIP CONFIG, so I am not
sure which kernel tarnsition made it disappear. Today I upgraded
to 1.1.94, to make sure that PLIP CONFIG had not slipped my mind.
I also checked that plip.o is included in net.a in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.

PLIP is not recognized upon bootup.
In the past (I verified it up to 1.1.85) I got

        plip0: configured for parallel port at 0x3bc, IRQ 7

in the boot messages.

But no longer. ifconfig reports

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFDSTADDR: No such device

when I try to

/sbin/ifconfig plip0 sierra-plip pointopoint baby-plip up

Any help/comments/suggestions are appreciated.

--
Raimund K. Ege                             School of Computer Science

(305) 348-3381  fax: (305) 348-3549                   University Park
http://www-cs.fiu.edu/scspage/professor/Ege.html      Miami, FL 33199

PLIP disappeared

Post by S. Joel Ka » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 00:18:10

Quote:>PLIP disappeared on me: I had not used it for quite some time to
>connect my LapTop to my Linux home PC. Whenever I upgraded my
>kernel I faithfully entered 'Y' for PLIP CONFIG, so I am not
>sure which kernel tarnsition made it disappear. Today I upgraded
>to 1.1.94, to make sure that PLIP CONFIG had not slipped my mind.
>I also checked that plip.o is included in net.a in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.
>/sbin/ifconfig plip0 sierra-plip pointopoint baby-plip up

        Upgrade ifconfig and/or use pppd.

--

S. Joel Katz           Information on Objectivism, Linux, 8031s, and atheism

PLIP disappeared

Post by Dr. Raimund K. E » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 00:38:42

|> >PLIP disappeared on me: I had not used it for quite some time to
|> >connect my LapTop to my Linux home PC. Whenever I upgraded my
|> >kernel I faithfully entered 'Y' for PLIP CONFIG, so I am not
|> >sure which kernel transition made it disappear. Today I upgraded
|> >to 1.1.94, to make sure that PLIP CONFIG had not slipped my mind.
|> >I also checked that plip.o is included in net.a in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.
|>
|> >/sbin/ifconfig plip0 sierra-plip pointopoint baby-plip up
|>
|>   Upgrade ifconfig and/or use pppd.

my ifconfig is dated: Dec 16 17:28 (seems rather recent to me!).
Do you know of a newer ifconfig ? Anyway, the problem does not
seem to be ifconfig related. The problem is that plip is not
recognized at boot time.

And could you please explain how pppd is to be used over a parallel port ?

--

Post by David Truckenmill » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 09:21:47

>|>       Upgrade ifconfig and/or use pppd.

My PLIP is gone too!  (Kernels 92-93-94)  I got the new ifconfig, but the
plipconfig.c program won't compile. :-(  I tried net-tools-1.1.79.

Any hints????
%Dave%

PLIP disappeared

Post by Dr. Raimund K. E » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 21:18:29

> [...]

my ifconfig and plipconfig are the latest from NetKit-A-0.08.bin.tar.gz.

|> My PLIP is gone too!  (Kernels 92-93-94)  I got the new ifconfig, but the
|> plipconfig.c program won't compile. :-(  I tried net-tools-1.1.79.

I can make PLIP re-appear by configuring my kernel without support for a
parallel printer. Of course, I understand that the printer uses the
same parallel port as PLIP would, but in the past both co-existed.
All I had to do is unplug the printer and plup in the cable to my laptop.

--
Raimund K. Ege                             School of Computer Science

(305) 348-3381  fax: (305) 348-3549                   University Park
http://www-cs.fiu.edu/scspage/professor/Ege.html      Miami, FL 33199

PLIP disappeared

Post by Dietmar Bra » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 16:51:29

[...]
   PLIP disappeared on me: I had not used it for quite some time to
   connect my LapTop to my Linux home PC. Whenever I upgraded my
   kernel I faithfully entered 'Y' for PLIP CONFIG, so I am not
   sure which kernel tarnsition made it disappear. Today I upgraded
   to 1.1.94, to make sure that PLIP CONFIG had not slipped my mind.
   I also checked that plip.o is included in net.a in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.

  Hello,
somewhere around 1.1.8? the kernel started bookkeeping all IO Ports and
interrupts. If you have enabled Parallel printer support, plip won't show up
any more.
  I use my notebook at home with a printer attached and i use plip
to connect it to my big Linux at the office. I compiled the kernel to
include module versions and i didn't include neither plip nor parallel port
support. I did a make modules and now i can use the lp or the plip module
as i like.

   PLIP is not recognized upon bootup.
   In the past (I verified it up to 1.1.85) I got

           plip0: configured for parallel port at 0x3bc, IRQ 7

You should look up /proc/ioports (and perhaps /proc/interrupts)
and check what driver occupies the io ports.

[...]
   Any help/comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Hope this helps

[...]
           Ciao
                   Didi
--

Dietmar Braun; University of Bielefeld

--

Dietmar Braun; University of Bielefeld

1. PLIP PLIP PLIP

Can you help me about PLIP?
I want to know all about PLIP: where can I find these informations on
the Net?

Thanks
Francesco
FRANCESCO DE CARLO - Via Rosselli,78/17 - 70014 Conversano (BA) Italy
Faculty of Computer Science at University of BARI

WEB: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/3619/index.html
PLUTO Linux User Group Member

2. Compiling for DOS with gcc

3. PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

4. need sed help

5. plip.com (crynwyr) and ncsa telnet and Linux plip

6. How can I delete a list of file names?

7. Linux PLIP and Crynwr PLIP?

8. Telnet problem

9. trumpet winsock crynwr plip & linux plip

10. linux plip to msdos crynwr plip. HOWTO?

11. PLIP: Linux <--> Dos using pktdrv PLIP.COM

12. plip on linux & plip on dos

13. PLIP: how to assign IRQ when plip is compiled in the kernel?