Problem Setting up Linux/Xdm/Chooser

Post by Christopher Sean Hilt » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up my Linux box like an X Terminal and Server. By
this I mean that I'd like to run the XFree86 with the indirect flag
like this:

     $ X -indirect my_linux_box

and then run xdm on the same box configured to display a chooser
window so that my users can choose which machine that they want to log
into. I've got three boxes that I'm doing this with now and the two
FreeBSD boxes work fine but it looks like the Linux box is complaining
that that the local xdm does not have the authentication information
to use the local X server:

     Xlib: connection to "hoth.vindaloo.com:0.0" refused by server
     Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
     Xlib: connection to "hoth.vindaloo.com:0.0" refused by server
     Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
     Xlib: connection to "hoth.vindaloo.com:0.0" refused by server
     Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
     xdm error (pid 106): server open failed for hoth.vindaloo.com:0, giving up

I changed /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess to allow the Linux machine to
send a login-authentication to all hosts in my domain and to have xdm
on this box broadcast its queries and display the chooser window. Did
I miss anything?

     Linux distribution: Slackware
     Kernel version:     2.0.30
     XFree version:      3.2
     X Server:           XF86_S3

Chris
|    __o         "All I was doing was trying to get home from work." |
|  _`\<,_         -Rosa Parks                                        |
+_(*)/_(*)___________________________________________________________+

1. setting up xdm's chooser

I have 2 computers running linux, and I want to set up xdm so either
computer can start an X session on itself or on the other computer.

I followed the instructions in the Tips HOWTO to get the xdm chooser working.
I'm just not sure I did it in the best way..

I made a shell script, xdm-init:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/X11/xdm
exec /usr/bin/X11/X -indirect localhost

I changed /etc/inittab so that this script was run instead of xdm in the
appropriate runlevel.

I commented out the line that starts the server on the local machine in
Xservers.

Now when I start X on both computers, I get the chooser, and it lets me pick
which computer I want to log in on, and then I get xdm.. just what I wanted,
but there are a few things that I don't like:

1. After I select a hostname from the chooser, it looks like the current X
process that's running dies, and a new one starts up for the xdm login dialog.
I don't understand why the same X process can't just keep running. Is there a
way to make that work? It'd speed things up a lot..

2. The 2 computers are named box and kite. I set them both up identically as
I explained above. When I'm on box, and I pick box from the chooser, and log
in through xdm, all X programs are running off of :0.0.

However, if I do the same thing with kite, picking kite off the chooser, and
logging in, all programs are running off of kite:0.0.

Why the difference? I don't get it.. I'm worried that running off of
localhost:0.0 is slower than just off of :0.0, isn't it? I'm seeing loopback
activity I never see when X is using :0.0..

--
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj -RSA-3-lines-PERL-
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1#     Joey Hess

                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

2. Modify an inode type... [DIFFICULT]

3. xdm to xdm - where is chooser?

4. Abit BP6 motherboard

5. Problem with starting chooser via xdm

6. Attention developers and uploaders!

7. xdm chooser mode problems

8. isdn/eumex

9. xdm & chooser Problem

10. problems with the chooser on xdm

11. chooser/xdm config problem

12. xdm and chooser problem in Redhat7.0

13. Problems with xdm and Chooser