Private tld ?

Post by Geoff Shor » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

This seems like a semi-faq, but I'm not sure...

I've got a network, with private ip addresses.  At the moment each
machine has /etc/hosts with all the hostnames listed.  Now I want to
set up a dns server -- is there a recognised top level domain which
can be used for private systems?  Or does everyone just invent one?

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

1. Q: Connection private Net with private Net to Internet

Hi!

I have a problem connecting a private network via another private
network to the internet.

Situation:
my-net: 192.168.0.x
isp-net: 10.20.x.x
gateway to isp is 10.20.7.254
I tried to connect my-net with a freeBSD machine and 2 NICs to the ISP-
net, but i wasnt able to get connection from my-net to the isp-net.
from the freebsd machine no problem to get to my-net or isp-net.
i installed netd, set getway="YES", set default route to the isp-
gateway, compiled kernel with firewalling options, customized squid (i
have to use the isp proxy (MS-Proxy 2.0 :( ) to get outside) with a
parent-proxy.
I tried all the tips&tricks described in the documentation, but i
wasn't able to get a connection from my-net to the isp-net or the
internet via squid.

has anyone a tip where the problem might be, its quite frustrating
after 3 weekends trying to establish connection.

thx, tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. LinuxPPC, MkLinux, YellowDogLinux.. argh!

3. private network -VPN-private network routing

4. Enabling root access on telnet

5. How to guarantee private DNS stays private?

6. Can't pass /stand/sysinstall

7. Masquerading private LAN to private ip

8. telnet & ftp how to configure????

9. New TLD registration (.biz)? How?

10. DNS -- nameservers for .org TLD don't respond when queried non-recursively

11. New TLD?

12. TLD - .int

13. TLD Resolving Woes