SAMBA shares with no password?

Post by Dave Calv » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I want to make a samba share which doesn't ask for a password when you try
to connect, it will just let anyone in.  I set the following...

public = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes

test it with testparm, and restart smbd and nmbd.  If I connect with smbclient,
it still asks for a password.  I can hit enter without entering anything and
still connect, but that isn't what I want.  Is there any way to force it to
not ask for a password at all?

Dave

Post by Erwin Bliesenic » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> test it with testparm, and restart smbd and nmbd.  If I connect with smbclient,
> it still asks for a password.  I can hit enter without entering anything and
> still connect, but that isn't what I want.  Is there any way to force it to
> not ask for a password at all?

> Dave

  Hello,

add the -N option (smbclient \\\\server\\service name -N)

Erwin

SAMBA shares with no password?

Post by Dave Calv » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Ok, that's cool if I want to connect with smbclient, but if I want to connect
from Win95, it still asks for a password.  Is there any way around that one?

Dave

: > test it with testparm, and restart smbd and nmbd.  If I connect with smbclient,
: > it still asks for a password.  I can hit enter without entering anything and
: > still connect, but that isn't what I want.  Is there any way to force it to
: > not ask for a password at all?
: >

Post by Mats Andersso » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Ok, that's cool if I want to connect with smbclient, but if I want to connect
> from Win95, it still asks for a password.  Is there any way around that one?

> Dave

> : > test it with testparm, and restart smbd and nmbd.  If I connect with smbclient,
> : > it still asks for a password.  I can hit enter without entering anything and
> : > still connect, but that isn't what I want.  Is there any way to force it to
> : > not ask for a password at all?
> : >
> : > Dave

> :   Hello,

> : add the -N option (smbclient \\\\server\\service name -N)

> : Erwin

Struggled with this too... try adding the option "null passwords = yes" in smb.conf.

    / Mats

1. samba 2.0.7 +security=share +encrypted passwords +NT4-SP4

Hi all

I have been using successfully samba 2.0.7 with:

security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
a smbpasswd file

and Win9x & WinME clients. These clients are not in the same workgroup as
the samba server.

When I try to connect to the share and I enter the user/password the samba
server does'nt let to access the share:

[2001/01/26 16:19:29, 2] smbd/service.c:make_connection(284)
  Invalid username/password for download

The NT client has SP4, acording to docs I understand this setup should work.

Enough information? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance, please send me a CC: of your reply to

        Ulisses

                Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers."            Pablo Picasso

2. The best choice of disk array

3. Win 98 + SAMBA File Shares w/Passwords

4. argoUML for linuxPPC

5. Can username/password be encrypted for automount of samba share

6. Interesting problem ... .read

7. SAMBA share password?(not the plain text story)

8. Documentation on Xview libs

9. Assigning password to samba shares

10. How to set password for sharing Linux with Win98 via Samba?

11. Windows XP doesnt remember my password when connecting to a samba share?

12. win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

13. Samba: Synchronize Unix and Samba Passwords