Can't get out with TALK

Post by Karl Ho » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've avoided asking for help on this problem until I've had at least
2 or 3 weeks of Linux experience - just to see if I could figure it out.
I can't!

I have PPP working 100% accessing through an ISP with a dynamic IP address.
Problem is, I cannot get out with talk.  I receive
the notice of requests if someone talk's me, but can't answer.
Most of the time I immediately get this:

[Error on read from talk daemon : Connection refused (111)]

But sometimes I'll get the:

[No connection yet], [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
and there it sits, the other party receives nothing from me.

I have no trouble getting out with ftp, telnet, finger, ping etc.
I have been through the inetd.conf, the hosts.allow, hosts.deny, and
services files, and all looks well.i  Here's the related lines from each:

/etc/inetd.conf:

talk    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.talkd
ntalk   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd

/etc/services:

talk            517/udp
ntalk           518/udp

I would VERY much appreciate any help in getting this to work.. I really need
this service up and running while I'm online.

Karl

Can't get out with TALK

Post by Pete Kulupk » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I've avoided asking for help on this problem until I've had at least
> 2 or 3 weeks of Linux experience - just to see if I could figure it out.
> I can't!

> [No connection yet], [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
> and there it sits, the other party receives nothing from me.

        Edit your /etc/hosts file to include your dynamic IP refering to your
machine's name.  There is a little blurb about this in the file itself.
Write a little script using sed to update the file everytime you connect
to your ISP to include the new IP.

--

Criminal Justice Science         http://www.ilstu.edu/~pckulup
Illinois State University         Illinois Army National Guard

1. 'Talk' can't talk on Freebsd 4.4?

Hi guys,

I ran 'talk' today on my freshly installed 4.4-release box, the thing keeps
on reporting "checking for invitation on caller's machine." I enabled ntalkd
in inetd.conf and it doesn't really ressolve the problem. I then try out
/usr/libexec/ntalkd and it reported something like "open socket on
non-socket" or something similar to that. Anyone knows what's the matter
with my installation?

2. What do I need to do to configure XDMCP-Broadcast to work correctly?

3. Can apache/stronghold log when a user 'click outs' of your site?

4. loopback virtual filesystem?

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. Is SunFast Ethernet Card, X1056A and 501-2655 supported under Solaris 8?

7. LILO cannot find my Ethernet Card

8. Slackware 1.1.2 talk(1) won't talk to Suns (explain talkd)

9. talk daemon? - Why talk don't work?

10. talk wouldn't let me talk!

11. `talk' to talk to Sun

12. talk won't talk