Aggregating ethernet bandwidth

Post by Scott Woo » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
end, and I just need to do that between them.
--
+---------------------+--------------------------+
|     Scott Wood      |  Systems Administrator   |

+=====================+==========================+
|       -={High Speed Wireless Internet}=-       |
|           http://www.broadlink.com/            |

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
> cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
> end, and I just need to do that between them.

yes, though not out of the box.  look at the channel bonding work done for
the beowulf clustering project - http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/beowulf

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.102  i586 | at public servers
"Just because the code is intended to cause flaming death is no reason
to get sloppy and leave off the casts."
                   - Tim Smith, regarding sample (F0 0F C7 C8) Pentium Death
                     code on comp.os.linux.advocacy

Post by Steve Bergma » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
> > cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
> > end, and I just need to do that between them.

> yes, though not out of the box.  look at the channel bonding work done for
> the beowulf clustering project - http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/beowulf

Out of curiosity, is there a reason not to use a 100Mbit link instead?

-Steve Bergman-

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

> > > Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
> > > cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
> > > end, and I just need to do that between them.

> > yes, though not out of the box.  look at the channel bonding work done for
> > the beowulf clustering project - http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/beowulf

> Out of curiosity, is there a reason not to use a 100Mbit link instead?

only reason i can think of, is if you've got the equipment to do channel
bonding on-hand, or can get it cheaper than 100M.  there's some benchmarks
of the channel bonding performance, and they show that while it can have
signifigant improvements over a single network card, that the improvements
aren't drastic enough to justify the extra costs, unless your traffic is
going to fit within a certain range - and they you will get your money's
worth.  if you've got money to blow, you're probably better off going with
gigabit or myrinet.

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.102  i586 | at public servers
Anyone who thinks UNIX is intuitive should be forced to write 5000 lines of
code using nothing but vi or emacs. AAAAACK!
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands, especially
Emacs.)

Aggregating ethernet bandwidth

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
>cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
>end, and I just need to do that between them.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a single 100M card at each end?  Some
are as low as $40 now.

  Les Mikesell

Post by Paul Cochran » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
>cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
>end, and I just need to do that between them.
>--
>+---------------------+--------------------------+
>|     Scott Wood      |  Systems Administrator   |

>+=====================+==========================+
>|       -={High Speed Wireless Internet}=-       |
>|           http://www.broadlink.com/            |
>+------------------------------------------------+

Are you sure this would make a difference? Are you sending each 10MBit link
through a switch to segregate each section. If you not, then you will only
get the 10Mbit rate no matter how many cards you use. It would be easier (if
indeed you're using cables and not wireless) to go to 2 100MB cards.
Paul

Post by bill davids » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

| Out of curiosity, is there a reason not to use a 100Mbit link instead?

Money? If you don't have a hardware budget, and you do have hardware on
hand...

Or consider two servers which serve users on four networks, by channel
sharing you could connect the servers at high speed (and probably flood
all four networks ;-) with existing hardware.

Linux systems can use EQL between them, I can't comment on the state of
the multilink stuff.
--

 "If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry.  In the worst
  case, people would die."

Post by Russ Save » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

:
: > Does anyone know if it is possible for Linux to use 4 10Mbit ethernet
: > cards as 1 40Mbit logical connection?  I have identical machines on each
: > end, and I just need to do that between them.
:
: yes, though not out of the box.  look at the channel bonding work done for
: the beowulf clustering project - http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/beowulf

You probably want something closer to cisco's  VLAN trunking protocol.  Solaris
supports such a thing, using the quad ethernet board.   Channel bonding will
probably not do what you need. (or it may not)

Of course, you need a good switch, and you might as well be using 100bT cards,
as the switch ports will cost 3x what the cards costs anyway...

BTW, different switch vendors having different trunking protocols. If anyone
*does* do this (I thought about it a while ago), it will be a pain.  Caveat emptor.
:
: --
: Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net | PGP key available