Setting up a machine to allow Internet access over a network

Setting up a machine to allow Internet access over a network

Post by Mark Hyme » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

I have just started using Redhat Linux 5.2 on a spare 486 I have.  I
use Freeserve for my Internet connection and have a small network of
two other Win95 machines using the basic sharing setup of Win95.  I
want to know whether it is possible to set up my Linux box to act as
both a proxy server which will dial into my ISP when a request for
such an external page is made from one of the network machines and
whether I can download all of the e-mail from my account

under the relevant user name (mark, simon etc... [e.g

Rather a lot there I know but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Post by Dennis S. Tep » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have just started using Redhat Linux 5.2 on a spare 486 I have.  I
> use Freeserve for my Internet connection and have a small network of
> two other Win95 machines using the basic sharing setup of Win95.  I
> want to know whether it is possible to set up my Linux box to act as
> both a proxy server which will dial into my ISP when a request for
> such an external page is made from one of the network machines and
> whether I can download all of the e-mail from my account

> under the relevant user name (mark, simon etc... [e.g

> Rather a lot there I know but any help would be much appreciated.

> Thanks

> Mark

recompile the kernel with ip-masquarading. Then read all howtos. I know
that seem to be the stock answer but you will not know the questions to
ask if this task is not completed (several times.)

Denny

Post by Hans Dumbraj » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have just started using Redhat Linux 5.2 on a spare 486 I have.  I
> use Freeserve for my Internet connection and have a small network of
> two other Win95 machines using the basic sharing setup of Win95.  I
> want to know whether it is possible to set up my Linux box to act as
> both a proxy server which will dial into my ISP when a request for
> such an external page is made from one of the network machines and
> whether I can download all of the e-mail from my account

> under the relevant user name (mark, simon etc... [e.g

> Rather a lot there I know but any help would be much appreciated.

> Thanks

> Mark

http://members.home.net/ipmasq/

1. how to set up linux so machine _by default_ access INTERnet thru socks

I have 3 systems on my lab network:

A: linux box with 2 interfaces, connected to
INTRAnet (8.37.198.22 mask 255.255.240.0) via
token ring on tr0, connected to lab network
(10.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0) via ethernet on eth0
B: windoze box, lab network (10.0.0.2 specified)
on eth adapter
C:?mac box, lab network (10.0.0.3 specified) on
eth adapter

The mac and the windoze can access the INTRAnet
and the INTERnet through ip forwarding and ip
masquerading on the linux, the default INTRAnet
gateway being 8.37.192.1, the DNS server at
8.37.0.55. In my environment a socks server is
used to connect the INTRAnet with the INTERnet; it
is at 8.37.3.60.

A socks client by Hummingbird (which allows all
appz to use the socks server for INTERnet
connections) is available for Windows 9x. It is
installed and works fine through the linux box.

The Mac is an older model running system 7.6.1. As
far as I know, no socks client is available for
it. Thus, appz which are not 'socks-aware' are not
able to make INTERnet connections.

How would I set up the linux box so that any
machine on the lab network (windows, mac, etc.)
would _by default_ access the INTERnet through the
socks server at 8.37.3.60 without having to have a
socks client installed?

If a solution allows the linux box itself (as a
client of the socks server) to access the
INTERnet, it would be great, but its not
necessary. The main thing is to allow the Mac to
have full INTERnet access through the socks
server.

TIA

Jennifer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. csh shell script problem

3. connecting machine to internet via modem causes loss of local network access

4. Sol9: Reliably mounting ramdisks on startup

5. Machines on local area network can't access internet

6. Use of memcpy_tofs in modules

7. Linux Machine for internet/proxy/firwall access to Nt/2k/98 PC's in Network

8. help iptables

9. full lock-ups accessing some Internet sites via ppp?

10. Linux dialin, assigning dynamic IP, allowing internet access

11. iptables - opening an inbound port but allowing access to all machines outbound

12. LAN Telnet logins allowed, Internet not allowed

13. Old and new passwords allow access to machine