newbie: suse network setup

Post by John Kaspa » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi, we are trying to add a linux box to our windows network to act a
file server.

We've got a small windows 98 workgroup (5 computers) tied together
through an ethernet hub.  We all share a DSL modem, which goes into a
Linksys DSL router, then into the Uplink port of the hub.  The router
acts as the DHCP Server, assigning IPs starting at 192.168.1.100.  It
obtains its own IP automatically through our ISP.  Its values are:

LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
WAN IP (Dynamic):  208.191.207.68
Subnet mask: 255.255.240.0
Default gateway: 208.191.207.254
DNS: 151.164.1.8
     151.164.1.7
     0.0.0.0

Its setup has a place for Router name and Domain name, but they are
left blank (and still works).

We've got SuSE 6.3 installed on the linux box, and it loads up fine.
But it can't see the other computers or the Internet.  I've gone
through various configurations using Yast, but nothing works.

In the Basic Network Configuration, I've set Number[0] to Active, set
it to Ethernet (device eth0), and used AutoIP with BootP.  In the
hardware setup, I set the eth0 to NE2000 (PCI) (I've got a RealTek
RTL8029, which isn't listed there but is shown as supported hardware at
the suse.com site).

Also, I changed Start_SMB to yes in the Change configuration file area.

What do the other menu items want?
Change host name...
Configure
 network services...
 nameserver...
 YP client...
 etc...

Some items want a 'Domain name'.  Does our LAN have such a thing?  Do
we make one up somehow?

I've tried to include all the details I could, but there are some I
probably don't know about.  Any assistance is appreciated in advance.

Thanks, John

ps. After changing various settings in Yast, the system freezes
sometimes when updating all the files and I have to reboot.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Grub setup trouble (newbie with grub and Suse 8.1)

Please help,

Just did install Suse 8.1 on a 60 Gb (supposedly dualboot..) system
and on startup Grub only proposes us Linux. We would like to
be able to boot Windows also...

We have

Partition  from   to  FStype    OS           Mount Point
/dev/hda1     0   12    ext2    Linux        /boot
/dev/hda5    13 3709    NTFS    Windows XP
/dev/hda6  3710 3775    swap    Linux
/dev/hda7  3776 3971    ext2    Linux        /home
/dev/hda8  3972 7295    ext2    Linux        /

Windows was previously installed and cannot start now.

I am sure we missed something during GRUB configuration (can you
tell us what?)

Any help greatly appreciated (grub.conf below)

Gaetan,
Quebec city, Canada

Our /etc/grub.conf now contains :

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Thu Jan 30 22:11:25 2003

gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8

title linux
     kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8  hdd=ide-scsi  vga=791
     initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

title floppy
     root (fd0)
     chainloader +1

title failsafe
     kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda8 ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic 3
     initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.shipped

title Windows XP
     root (hd0)
     chainloader +1
     makeactive

--
Gatan Martineau et/ou Chantal Lortie
Linux user #247764  http://counter.li.org

2. No programs in RH 5.2 Xsessions

3. Suse 6.2 Samba Setup Newbie question

4. Irony - Free Software makes a better Industry!

5. SuSe 6.0 Setup...Post Newbie, Need help with Rawrite, CDR does not boot.

6. X11R6 and CDE

7. newbie: SuSE 6.1 eth0 interface driver module setup

8. Anybody experienced system crashes after X server shutdown ??

9. Suse 6.2 Samba Setup Newbie Question

10. Newbie - Need to install a SMC WD8013 Network Card (Suse)

11. Problems with Network Setup SuSE 5.2

12. Newbie Networking with Slattach using S.u.S.E. Linux (how)?

13. SuSE Linux network setup