NE2000 vs Linux -- NE2000 is winning...

Post by Michael Hick » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?

I wrote about my problem a couple of weeks ago.  If someone posted an
answer, I'm sorry but I didn't see it (I've been busy lately...)

If not, then consider this a warning -- NE2000 cards are not safe to use
with Linux.

Other people have had the same problems, but I haven't found any
fixes...

Thanks,

Mike Hicks

NE2000 vs Linux -- NE2000 is winning...

Post by ki » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
> only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?

Maybe a bad clone?

kid

Post by Dana Boo » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
>> only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?

>Maybe a bad clone?

You're probably right about that. I have two Linux machines at home and
three at work that all use ne2000 clones flawlessly.

--

----------------------------

----------------------------

Post by William Safle » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
> > only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?

> Maybe a bad clone?

> kid

Depends on what version of the kernel is being used - I believe it was
1.2.? that would sometimes freeze the system for no apparent reason when
using a NE2000 clone.  Newer versions don't have that problem.

--
William Safley
To reply via email remove nospam from the reply address

Post by Patrick Jordan-Smi » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: >> Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
: >> only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?
: >
: >Maybe a bad clone?

: You're probably right about that. I have two Linux machines at home and
: three at work that all use ne2000 clones flawlessly.

Count me in on that vote, I find the CNET NE2000 clones are the best I've
come by, many of them are not 'fully compatable' and Linux really needs a
fully compatable card. I've got about 30 machines at various places all
running NE2000 clones (mostly CNET) and they all work flawlessly.

--

-----= All these opinions are someone elses, so don't bother me! =-----

Post by Jonas Muns » Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> > Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
>> > only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?
>> Maybe a bad clone?
>Depends on what version of the kernel is being used - I believe it was
>1.2.? that would sometimes freeze the system for no apparent reason when
>using a NE2000 clone.  Newer versions don't have that problem.

My NE2000 clone freezes the system totally when I turn on promisc mode
(tried it with 2.0.27 and .31). Ok, I don't need to sniff, but it's still
very annoying not to be able to check the net-traffic properly.

--
Jonas Munsin          Physics student at ?bo Akademi | A social life?

IRC:EvenFlow/effe  Remove the NOSPAM part in my email| download THAT?!?

1. Open Linux Lite won't see NE2000 clone

Hi, all -

I am trying to install Open Linux Lite.  It will not recognize my NE2000
clone - although CND 1.0 saw it fine.  I used the boot params
'eth0=11,0x300,0,0,ether' on installation with no luck.  Anyone get it
installed successfully?

Also - how does one use the module loader?  I am trying to load an
additional XF86 server without installing, and it is on my modules floppy,
but I'm darned if I see how to load it, they're all gzip files on there.

If it is convenient, e-mail will reach me faster.

TIA -

Regards,
jh
--
Jared Hecker - CODBA      |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase

2. Mac Emulation under Linux on a PC.

3. Linux 1.2.13 won't recognize GVC ethernet card (in NE2000 or WD8013 mode)

4. Help! New to Linux

5. NE2000 won't reboot

6. Primax 4800 Direct

7. HELP! NE2000 Ethernet card won't work!

8. USENIX Summer 1994 Technical Conference & Registration Info.

9. Jumperless NE2000 close - machine won't boot

10. NE2000 won't ping

11. ne2000 responds, but won't admit it

12. NE2000 NIC Won't Load

13. redhat won't probe 2nd ne2000 card