DSL Dialup (Atlanta and vicinity)

Post by Young4er » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

This may be off topic.  However, I have a friend who has no connection
to the Internet and resides in the out skirt of the city of Atlanta
would like to put his business on the Internet.  He already has a nic
sub-domain for his company.  He insists on using Linux as his main WEB,
DNS, sQL, and some other servers.  What he would like to know is the
pros and cons of having a DSL connection/service provided by a local ISP
as compared to the local phone company (Bell South) that also provides a
DSL service.

Any comment is certainly a welcome.

--

Post by Tim Hal » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> This may be off topic.  However, I have a friend who has no connection
> to the Internet and resides in the out skirt of the city of Atlanta
> would like to put his business on the Internet.  He already has a nic
> sub-domain for his company.  He insists on using Linux as his main WEB,
> DNS, sQL, and some other servers.  What he would like to know is the
> pros and cons of having a DSL connection/service provided by a local ISP
> as compared to the local phone company (Bell South) that also provides a
> DSL service.

> Any comment is certainly a welcome.

> --

> PS> Remove the "4" from e-mail address to respond.

I just had a DSL connection installed. When I was looking for providers I
called Bell Atlantic (which had by far the cheapest service) and was told I
was too far from the central office for service.

I then contactd Verio. They use equipment different from BA and could
provide service to my location. They quoted me DSL 416KB service and would
handle the installation of a new phone line.

What a nightmare this turned out to be. Instead of a 3 week installation
time,  it took 11 weeks to get service. I turns out that Verio uses
Northpoint Communications to handle the data connection while Verio serves
as the ISP. Northpoint then contracts with BA for the line and some other
installation company to actually install the line jack and router. What a
MESS ! I had 5 techs visit me. (4 from BA)

To be fair, once everything was installed the service is quite good.

Anyway, the lesson learned from this is to ask a LOT of questions, who, what
and when about the installation, router, ISP, etc.

1. Which DSL Provider for Atlanta, GA?

Hi,

Here is a request from a friend to post:

Can anyone please tell me which DSL provider in the Greater Atlata, GA and
its vicinity offer the best for $$$? I just checked the Speed Factory and
my phone line quelifies for a fiber DSL connection through a PPPoE. The
problem with Speed Factory is that its USENET provider is GigaNews and it
is capped to a limited bandwith/month. I would like to know any other DSL
provider that does not have its USENET service capped. Any suggestion?

thanks.

2. Hacked

3. DSL dialup problem

4. Problems after closing X

5. Connect dlink di804 dsl router to dialup box

6. SCSI Tape drives.

7. switching from ppp dialup to bellsouth dsl - what's involved?

8. SMTP problem on 2.2.5

9. Configuring PPP for dialup & DSL

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. Establish FTP connection over Dialup, transfer files over DSL?

12. Sample firewall/masq rules for dialup and non-dialup posted (ipfwadm only)

13. Replacement dsl modem for DSL-604+