dhcp works with Mdk 6.1 but NOT with Mdk 7.2

dhcp works with Mdk 6.1 but NOT with Mdk 7.2

Post by drto.. » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:13:26

Good moorning and season's greetings,

I upgraded to Mdk 7.2 (a fresh install) from Mdk 6.1. Dhcp was working
great with my cable modem with version 6.1. But not anymore. I'm having
the hardest time setting up what is and otherwise simple procedure. I
went back to 6.1 to make sure that the card was not bad and it worked.
Put 7.2 back on again, uninstalled the new dhcp RPM's and put the 6.1
dhcp RPM's but that didn't help. What's the deal here? Anyone
reported/fixed such a problem?  Your help is appreciated.

Regards,
James

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by leoma.. » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 04:02:55

> I upgraded to Mdk 7.2 (a fresh install) from Mdk 6.1. Dhcp was working
> great with my cable modem with version 6.1. But not anymore. I'm
having
> the hardest time setting up what is and otherwise simple procedure. I
> went back to 6.1 to make sure that the card was not bad and it worked.
> Put 7.2 back on again, uninstalled the new dhcp RPM's and put the 6.1
> dhcp RPM's but that didn't help. What's the deal here? Anyone
> reported/fixed such a problem?  Your help is appreciated.

Hello, James.

Good thought on trying the 6.1 dhcpcd -- I had a similar issue with a
RedHat install several months ago and that fixed the problem for me.
Did you compare the "ifup" script where it calls dhcpcd? Come to think
of it, doesn't it call "pump" by default and you need to edit the file
to get it to use dhcpcd?

I had to both use a very old version of dhcpcd (from RedHat 5.2) as well
as add the "-h <hostname>" option to dhcpcd as so:

if /sbin/dhcpcd -d -h c77777-b eth0 ; then
    echo " done."
else
    echo " failed."
    exit 1
fi

But only dhcpcd-1.3.16 works for me; dunno why.

If "pump" is still being called in the ifup script, or if there's
another copy of dhcpcd already running, running a second DHCP client
will not work.  Use 'ps waux | grep dhcp' (and 'grep pump') to be sure
no other clients are running. Kill any that are, and you can experiment
with the above dhcpcd command line from the promp (as root, of course).

Hope this helps,

- Leo

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. make work a winmodem under mdk 7.2

I'm just trying to install the driver for my pci connexant.
I used the drivers found on http://www.eastwind.com.au/pctel.htm.

For kernel versions 2.2.15 or later (only 2.2.x kernels supported): mine is
k 2.2.17-21.
http://members.nbci.com/netllama/pctel_hsp.o
http://members.nbci.com/netllama/pctel_pci.o

I followed the instructions and advises found on
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php3?sid=20001214060900 (put the files
/dev/modem and /dev /ttyS15 to the basket, actually) and it finally appeared
the
modules had been loaded.

BUT, the use of kppp still indicates "modem buzy"

I use the mdk 7.2 and the initial link to /dev/modem was to /ttyS3 (that i
had to modify).

Any idea of what to do

2. Software for making pie and bar charts wanted

3. Problem installing WindowMaker in Mdk 7.2...

4. i18n: iconv modules

5. Trying to install WindowMaker on Mdk 7.2...

6. New shift!

7. NIC card problems with MDK 7.2

8. New User/Linux OK/Ethernet notOK !

9. 3 x 3c905x -- hangs R6.2 and MDK 7.2

10. Pb Mount manuel avec mdk 7.1 et 7.2

11. Mdk 7.2's KUDZU has killed my mouse!

12. Problem installing WindowMaker in Mdk 7.2...

13. Going right back to Mdk 7.2 ...theme question