Telnet security

Post by William McBri » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I want to allow root to login from anywhere on my local area network, but
NOT from over the Internet (SLIP link), while allowing other users to
login from the Internet as well. How would I set this up?

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/pub/wmcbrine/html/

Telnet security

Post by Ashok Aiy » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to allow root to login from anywhere on my local area network, but
>NOT from over the Internet (SLIP link), while allowing other users to
>login from the Internet as well. How would I set this up?

Install "login" from version 1.39 or later of the poeigl package (Poe's
init, getty, and login).  This will be available from sunsite, or from the
distribution site (ftp://ftp.daimi.aau.dk/pub/linux/poe).

Using the documentation and the examples in the package, you can create
an /etc/usertty file that will allow root to login from the local
network only.  Remember to remove root from /etc/securetty.

Later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.

University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697

1. Telnet Security

I want to disable certain users from telneting into a
RedHat Linux 5.1 machine altogether, is this possible?
Actually disabling certain users from using ftp, rsh,
rlogin, and anything else would be cool too.

--
Bryan Stevenson
BMH Associates, Inc.

2. Automatically Mounting Samba Shares

3. telnet security

4. Virtual IP's off a single interface

5. Telnet security...

6. Broken HPT366?

7. Telnet security

8. Linux, Supra288iPNP modem, Non PNP Bios?

9. telnet security

10. Telnet security

11. telnet security

12. Telnet security