Cannot donwload Newsgroup Names List

Post by Gravedigg » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:50:42

I had posted about this and got a little advice: I use modem dial up.
when I go to download the list of newsgroup names from a newsserver,
the download starts briefly, halts and then times out.

Following on from advice sourced here and elsewhere I have now

*tried a number of modems
*experimented with different newsreader clients
*tried different modem initialisation strings
*fiddled with some strangely named files in Linux
*re-installed linux(Mandrake 8.2)

and more. All to no avail. The result is always the same, ie the
newsgroup names list download fails.

Here's the rub:

I have managed to set up the internet connection to be shared. The
computer sharing the connection is a WindowsXP box.

IT HAS NO DIFFICULTY DOWNLOADING the newsgroup names list across the
shared connection.

So surely it is unlikely to be a buffer overrun problem on the modem?
In any case, I fail to see how three different make (external) modems
could all be guilty of buffer overrun.

My logic says it's got to be something with Linux. But I'm logically
flawed at the best of times.

Could I get a bit of help on this?

TIA

GraveDigger
++++++++++++

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 22:47:34

> I had posted about this and got a little advice: I use modem dial up.
> when I go to download the list of newsgroup names from a newsserver,
> the download starts briefly, halts and then times out.
> Following on from advice sourced here and elsewhere I have now
> *tried a number of modems
> *experimented with different newsreader clients
> *tried different modem initialisation strings
> *fiddled with some strangely named files in Linux
> *re-installed linux(Mandrake 8.2)
> and more. All to no avail. The result is always the same, ie the
> newsgroup names list download fails.
> Here's the rub:
> I have managed to set up the internet connection to be shared. The
> computer sharing the connection is a WindowsXP box.
> IT HAS NO DIFFICULTY DOWNLOADING the newsgroup names list across the
> shared connection.
> So surely it is unlikely to be a buffer overrun problem on the modem?
> In any case, I fail to see how three different make (external) modems
> could all be guilty of buffer overrun.

The modems aren't likely to have a buffer overrun, but the serial device
in the Linux box that served all these modems could have such an overrun.

I still think, even more so now since the Windows box is successful,
that it's likely the Linux box hard drive is hogging the interrupts
during the newsgroup header downloac and hdparm could help.

Of course if you tried hdparm and just failed to include it in the
list then I'm wrong.

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:    http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/

Post by GraveDigge » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 06:08:59

 > I still think, even more so now since the Windows box is successful,
 > that it's likely the Linux box hard drive is hogging the interrupts
 > during the newsgroup header downloac and hdparm could help.
 >
 > Of course if you tried hdparm and just failed to include it in the
 > list then I'm wrong.

Thanks Clifford, I haven't come to terms with hdparms on Linux yet.
Looks like that's gotta be the next "lesson" :-)

BTW, I have a slogan for Linux:

Linux- frustrating one day, infuriating the next :)

Only kidding!

Pierre
------------------------
If it feels good, do it!
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Everyday in every way it becomes
more and more obvious that the
World is run by educated idiots
living in the alternative reality
created by statistics.

--

1. cannot download newsgroup list from a nntp server

Hi all,
  Title says it all.  In short, "LIST" command of nntp protocol doesn't work
on Linux, while it works on Win98.
   The trouble is somewhat weird.  Newsgroup list cannot be downloaded by
netscape or trn or any other news reader programs.  Exactly, downloading
stops halfway.  I tried "telnet news.tokyo.att.ne.jp(my nntp server)
119(port # for nntp)" and send "LIST" command, but I got the same result.
The newsgroup list stops halfway.   However, if I choose a specific
newsgroup on trn (say, "g alt.os.linux"), I can download and read that
newsgroup.   And interestingly, this problem does NOT happen on Windows98.
   And it happens also on other nntp servers also.   I don't have any other
problems on the Internet (telnet, pop3, http, ftp, smtp, etc. work fine).

  So I suspect this problem should have something to do with Linux itself.
I use RH6.1 (English version) and the kernel is 2.2.13.

   I would appreciate any help I can get...

Thanks in advance.

2. Postscript with HP Deskjet 510

3. Shutdown -- bug?

4. ipcs cannot find name list

5. Cyrix processors and clock skew?

6. PROFTPD: Some users cannot upload files, some users cannot get directory listing

7. anlpasswd for Solaris? Anything better?

8. can ping but cannot get to www or cannot ping by name

9. named server cannot poll its own named service

10. Bluez on familiar arm-linux (ipaq 3870), cannot get class name and device name

11. FAQ: SCO UNIX newsgroups and mailing lists

12. Caldera newsgroup/list?