Masquerading between private IP subnet

Post by Terence PIRAR » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a linux box with 2 ethernet adatpers each one as the a private IP
assign,
eth0 = 192.168.0.1 eth1=192.168.1.1.
Can I configure a masquerading between the to networks ?

thanks

Terence

Masquerading between private IP subnet

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a linux box with 2 ethernet adatpers each one as the a private IP
> assign,
> eth0 = 192.168.0.1 eth1=192.168.1.1.
> Can I configure a masquerading between the to networks ?

I don't see why not. It should work just like IP masquerading between a
private network and the Internet at large.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a linux box with 2 ethernet adatpers each one as the a private IP
> assign,
> eth0 = 192.168.0.1 eth1=192.168.1.1.
> Can I configure a masquerading between the to networks ?

Indeed you can - but why would somebody do such a thing ?

Masquerading between private IP subnet

Post by Terence PIRAR » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

In fact what I want is test if masquerading works well on the linux box I
have to install at a customer site.
On our site, I can't get a official IP address via DHCP. so I want to
simulate the situation getting a private IP address from our DHCP server and
test masquerading from the private subnet of  my customer, so I need to masq
between to private subnet.
I need DHCP because at customer site it is a ADSL connexion and that the IP
address is get via DHCP.

I hope your better understand why I ask this question.
But maybe, you have a better solution to test this configuration at our site
?

Thanks for you answer.

Terence

> > Hello,

> > I have a linux box with 2 ethernet adatpers each one as the a private IP
> > assign,
> > eth0 = 192.168.0.1 eth1=192.168.1.1.
> > Can I configure a masquerading between the to networks ?

> Indeed you can - but why would somebody do such a thing ?

1. Masquerading private LAN to private ip

I'm helping out to setup the Internet access for a local school.
I've  found out that the ISP is providing private IPs to the school,
the info is as follow:

ip range: 10.145.0.1 - 10.145.0.62
mask: 255.255.255.192

The school has about 200+ computers with only max 62 usable address,
so I tried to setup a NAT router to masquerade the local LAN
(10.145.8.0/255.255.254.0) to one of the provided IP. Theoretically,
this should work, but it is not.

My question is:

Can I masquerade the entire LAN in private IPs to a private IP which
belong to the ISP?

10.145.8.0/255.255.254.0     ----->   10.145.0.1          ----->
ISP                 ----->   Intenet
School LAN (in private IPs)             ISP's private IP
most probably ISP masquerade to Internet

Thank you!

2. How do I set up xdm

3. Linux on private IP subnet

4. graphing CPU LOAD with MRTG and SNMP

5. 2 ip adresses, different subnet, ping reply from ip in other subnet ?

6. diald and samba not working together

7. Linux on private IP subnet

8. Firewall valid IP net without subnetting?

9. Masquerading PPTP to Private-IP VPN Server

10. Mixing masquerade and normal IP addresses on subnet

11. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

12. IP Masquerading with multiple subnets

13. IP masquerading -> different subnet