Testing a NIC...???

Post by Hendri » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi guys,

After I've installed the NIC, and ifconfig recognizes it as being eth0,
is there some way to check and see if it works...  I'm not connected to
a network yet, so I won't be able to use ping, traceroute, or anything
else like that (at least outside the lo interface that is)...*s*

Sincerely,
--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified

Testing a NIC...???

Post by Harry Pehkone » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

My NIC appears to be working because I'm able to get a web page that
resides in my Linux machine to show up in Netscape on my whynedow$ machine.

I pinged 192.168.1.1 (my NIC in the Linux box) FROM my Linux box --
everything worked fine.  Then I did ``ifdown eth0,'' and I was still able
to ping it just fine.

Therefore, pinging alone doesn't seem to be the end of NIC testing under
Linux.

I suggest using the following:

    dmesg
    ifup eth0
    ifconfig

. . . but then, I'm just a newbie.

Harry.

> Hi guys,

> After I've installed the NIC, and ifconfig recognizes it as being eth0,
> is there some way to check and see if it works...  I'm not connected to
> a network yet, so I won't be able to use ping, traceroute, or anything
> else like that (at least outside the lo interface that is)...*s*

> Sincerely,
> --
> Trevor Penney,
> A+, Network+ Certified

Testing a NIC...???

Post by Leen Besselin » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

as he said, he was _not_ connected to a network yet.

My advise to the original question would be to do a hardware test (probably
using the DOS utility that came with the card or you can download it from
internet). And then if it's reconised by Linux you can be pretty sure it works.

All I can think of right now.