trouble with ppp

trouble with ppp

Post by HateLin » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 09:40:30



        Can't ping or use inet apps ...............

        I managed to build my own system. Using kernel 2.4.9 , gcc
3.0.1, libc 2.2.4 , ppp 2.4.1
        For some reason , I can't get wvdial to compile under my gcc ,
so I had to resort to setting up the connection by hand.
        Following Bill Unruh's instructions , everything goes well.
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS4 57600 debug user hatelinux connect
"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT000000000000 CONNECT '\d\c'"

gets me:

.........................................
Oct  2 20:38:02 MangaLinux pppd[138]: pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid
0
Oct  2 20:38:03 MangaLinux chat[139]: send (ATDT000000000000^M)
Oct  2 20:38:03 MangaLinux chat[139]: expect (CONNECT)
Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: ATDT000000000000^M^M
Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: CONNECT
Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]:  -- got it
Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: send (\d)
Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Serial connection established.
Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: using channel 2
Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Using interface ppp0
Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS4
Oct  2 20:38:36 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  2 20:38:37 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
Oct  2 20:38:37 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
Oct  2 20:38:39 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  2 20:38:54 MangaLinux last message repeated 5 times
Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1
user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb3c7a494> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux last message repeated 4 times
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb3c7a494> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x2
user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x2 ""]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr
0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1
<deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
<compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1
<compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 11 06
00 01 01 03>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 11 06
00 01 01 03>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr
200.177.161.26>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr
200.177.161.26> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x1
<deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x2]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr
200.177.161.26> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: local  IP address 200.177.161.26
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: remote IP address 200.177.160.2
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x2]
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Terminating on signal 15.
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User
request"]
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x3]
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connection terminated.
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connect time 3.3 minutes.
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Sent 413 bytes, received 407
bytes.
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Exit.

.......................
Interesting, although I have a dynamic assigned ppp
I got the same remote IP number 6 times, over an hour !!!
200.177.160.2 . Might be coincidence.
..............................
I can ping 200.177.160.2 , although I get some errors. (every 5 or 6
pings I get " expected ..(a lot of hex) , received ...(more hex)"
I cannot ping any other external address, either by name or number. My
lynx browser etc does not work (cannot resolve external address)

My /etc/resolv.conf appears to be OK (this time I manually got the ip
of ns1.terra.com.br , ns2.terra.com.br etc).
/etc/resolv.conf

domain terra.com.br
nameserver 200.176.2.51
nameserver 200.176.2.174
nameserver 200.177.250.110

route -n brings nothing until I connect , then the ppp connection
appears.....
        What could be wrong ?? And why does it ask for my pass more
than once, then say everything is OK ?
        I will post the content of any log file if necessary

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by Simon Gree » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:04:38


First question: why does it ask for your password twice? -- It would
appear that the first time it attempts to authenticate you with PAP, it
receives no ACK. Eventually it times out, and then asks again. The
second time it succeeds. This is pretty clear from the log:

Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1
user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]

<More packets>

Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x2
user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x2 ""]

It would also appear that you are asking for compression that the other
end does not support. Many work with VJ compression (this one appears to
be happy enough, again you can see this in the logs), but I have found
that a significant number don't work with compress or deflate. I usually
just turn them off -- the modem has it's own compression anyway. Your
POP does not support deflate:

Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x1
<deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]

Try turning off compress and deflate (options "nocompress" and
"nodeflate" respectively).

Also try using the "defaultroute" option. If you otherwise have a
default route it will not add a new one. You must ensure that any other
default routes are deleted once PPP comes up or your PPP link will
probably not be used. Especially if the other default route is on a
"better" interface like an ethernet card.

Finally, I would also suggest you run a local nameserver. The
performance is better since it does not need to use the *slow* PPP line
every time it wants to resolve a name -- local named does it once then
remembers it for next time. Also saves you forgetting the DNS server IPs
next time you hose the box. ;-)

Cheers
Simon

HateLinux wrote:
>    Can't ping or use inet apps ...............

>    I managed to build my own system. Using kernel 2.4.9 , gcc
>3.0.1, libc 2.2.4 , ppp 2.4.1
>    For some reason , I can't get wvdial to compile under my gcc ,
>so I had to resort to setting up the connection by hand.
>    Following Bill Unruh's instructions , everything goes well.
>/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS4 57600 debug user hatelinux connect
>"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT000000000000 CONNECT '\d\c'"

>gets me:

>.........................................
>Oct  2 20:38:02 MangaLinux pppd[138]: pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid
>0
>Oct  2 20:38:03 MangaLinux chat[139]: send (ATDT000000000000^M)
>Oct  2 20:38:03 MangaLinux chat[139]: expect (CONNECT)
>Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: ATDT000000000000^M^M
>Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: CONNECT
>Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]:  -- got it
>Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: send (\d)
>Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Serial connection established.
>Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: using channel 2
>Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Using interface ppp0
>Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS4
>Oct  2 20:38:36 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
>Oct  2 20:38:37 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
>[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
>Oct  2 20:38:37 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
>[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
>Oct  2 20:38:39 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
>Oct  2 20:38:54 MangaLinux last message repeated 5 times
>Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
>Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1
>user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
>[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
><asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb3c7a494> <pcomp> <accomp>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
>[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
><asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux last message repeated 4 times
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2
><asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb3c7a494> <pcomp> <accomp>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x2
>user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x2 ""]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr
>0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1
><deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
><compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1
><compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 11 06
>00 01 01 03>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 11 06
>00 01 01 03>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr
>200.177.161.26>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr
>200.177.161.26> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x1
><deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x2]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr
>200.177.161.26> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: local  IP address 200.177.161.26
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: remote IP address 200.177.160.2
>Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x2]
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Terminating on signal 15.
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User
>request"]
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x3]
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connection terminated.
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connect time 3.3 minutes.
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Sent 413 bytes, received 407
>bytes.
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
>Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Exit.

>.......................
>Interesting, although I have a dynamic assigned ppp
>I got the same remote IP number 6 times, over an hour !!!
>200.177.160.2 . Might be coincidence.
>..............................
>I can ping 200.177.160.2 , although I get some errors. (every 5 or 6
>pings I get " expected ..(a lot of hex) , received ...(more hex)"
>I cannot ping any other external address, either by name or number. My
>lynx browser etc does not work (cannot resolve external address)

>My /etc/resolv.conf appears to be OK (this time I manually got the ip
>of ns1.terra.com.br , ns2.terra.com.br etc).
>/etc/resolv.conf

>domain terra.com.br
>nameserver 200.176.2.51
>nameserver 200.176.2.174
>nameserver 200.177.250.110

>route -n brings nothing until I connect , then the ppp connection
>appears.....
>    What could be wrong ?? And why does it ask for my pass more
>than once, then say everything is OK ?
>    I will post the content of any log file if necessary

--
Simon Green
Logica Mobile Networks
+61 419 479 908

Please read the lawyer-speak below, it costs us 50 quid a word!

Plain ASCII: Virus-free since 1963!

--
This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended
recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential
information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied,
disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an
intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any
attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank you.

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 01:32:54



]       Can't ping or use inet apps ...............

]       I managed to build my own system. Using kernel 2.4.9 , gcc
]3.0.1, libc 2.2.4 , ppp 2.4.1
]       For some reason , I can't get wvdial to compile under my gcc ,
]so I had to resort to setting up the connection by hand.
]       Following Bill Unruh's instructions , everything goes well.
]/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS4 57600 debug user hatelinux connect
]"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT000000000000 CONNECT '\d\c'"

The negotiations are fine except that there seems to be a bit too much
miscommunication between the two.
Put in
noccp
into /etc/ppp/options, since the remote side cannot handle Linux compression
anyway.

Run setserial /dev/ttyS4
(are you sure it is S4? That is not oneof the standard com ports. This makes it
especially important to make sure that characteristics are reported to linux
properly) to see if the port is a 16550A .

Also make sure that the irq linux thinks the modem uses is the actual irq it really
uses.

Also check the initialisation string to the modem. Donot use ATZ. Instead use AT&F
( or AT&F1 for Sportster modems) to set up hardware flow control and factory
defaults for your modem. I notice that here you do not set up any intialisation. It
may help.

]gets me:

].........................................
]Oct  2 20:38:02 MangaLinux pppd[138]: pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid
]0
]Oct  2 20:38:03 MangaLinux chat[139]: send (ATDT000000000000^M)
]Oct  2 20:38:03 MangaLinux chat[139]: expect (CONNECT)
]Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: ATDT000000000000^M^M
]Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: CONNECT
]Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]:  -- got it
]Oct  2 20:38:34 MangaLinux chat[139]: send (\d)

]Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Serial connection established.
]Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: using channel 2
]Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Using interface ppp0
]Oct  2 20:38:35 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS4
]Oct  2 20:38:36 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
]Oct  2 20:38:37 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
][MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
]Oct  2 20:38:37 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
][MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
]Oct  2 20:38:39 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
]Oct  2 20:38:54 MangaLinux last message repeated 5 times
]Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
]Oct  2 20:38:57 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1
]user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
][MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
]<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb3c7a494> <pcomp> <accomp>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
][MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
]<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf25d885b> <pcomp> <accomp>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux last message repeated 4 times
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2
]<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb3c7a494> <pcomp> <accomp>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x2
]user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x2 ""]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr
]0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1
]<deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
]<compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1
]<compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 11 06
]00 01 01 03>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 11 06
]00 01 01 03>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr
]200.177.161.26>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr
]200.177.161.26> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x1
]<deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x2]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr
]200.177.161.26> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: local  IP address 200.177.161.26
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: remote IP address 200.177.160.2
]Oct  2 20:38:58 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x2]
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Terminating on signal 15.
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User
]request"]
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x3]
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connection terminated.
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Connect time 3.3 minutes.
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Sent 413 bytes, received 407
]bytes.
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
]Oct  2 20:41:49 MangaLinux pppd[138]: Exit.

].......................
]Interesting, although I have a dynamic assigned ppp
]I got the same remote IP number 6 times, over an hour !!!
]200.177.160.2 . Might be coincidence.
]..............................
]I can ping 200.177.160.2 , although I get some errors. (every 5 or 6
]pings I get " expected ..(a lot of hex) , received ...(more hex)"
]I cannot ping any other external address, either by name or number. My
]lynx browser etc does not work (cannot resolve external address)

]My /etc/resolv.conf appears to be OK (this time I manually got the ip
]of ns1.terra.com.br , ns2.terra.com.br etc).
]/etc/resolv.conf

]domain terra.com.br
]nameserver 200.176.2.51
]nameserver 200.176.2.174
]nameserver 200.177.250.110

]route -n brings nothing until I connect , then the ppp connection
]appears.....
]       What could be wrong ?? And why does it ask for my pass more
]than once, then say everything is OK ?
]       I will post the content of any log file if necessary

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 01:36:43



Quote:>Finally, I would also suggest you run a local nameserver. The
>performance is better since it does not need to use the *slow* PPP line
>every time it wants to resolve a name -- local named does it once then
>remembers it for next time. Also saves you forgetting the DNS server IPs
>next time you hose the box. ;-)

Actually I would suggest you NOT use a local nameserver. It is more trouble than it
is worth usually.

The packets are small enough that the time delay is less than a sec.
Also if you hose the box, you need those IPs anyway to tell to your nameserver so
it can find the addresses it needs. It is just one more thing to go wrong.

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by HateLin » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 02:35:43


        I  tried turning off compression , tried adding modem Inits ,
tried messing with my ports , all to no avail.
        I had downloaded the ppp source through some link in google.
And although my source was called ppp-2.4.1.tar.gz,  the version in
the logs was 2.4.0.... Got me thinking ... trojan ??
        Then I downloaded the fresh source code from the samba site ,
recompiled , and it works now. But only after hacking a bit.The DNS
servers I got with nslookup ns1.terra.com.br etc are apparently
invalid. So I added usepeerdns to my /etc/ppp/options file (looks like
this now)

lock
nobsdcomp
nodeflate
debug
defaultroute
usepeerdns
record /root/ppp.log

I can surf, ping , ftp , just about anything now. Although ppp gets
the number of the dns server , it does NOT put it in
/etc/resolver.conf , as promised in the docs. I have to do that
manually for the resolver to work. Bit of a pain in the a** , but if I
was not a * I would not use linux , I suppose. :)
        Here is my script:
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS4 57600  user hatelinux connect
"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ' AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0' OK  ATDT000000000000
CONNECT '\d\c'"

(I set up my PCI modem to /dev/ttyS4 (I had to make ttyS4 first) as
according to cat /proc/pci it does not use a usual port address)
/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq 3 port 0xe000 uart 16550A

Here is my log:
Oct  6 11:45:11 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid
0
Oct  6 11:45:12 MangaLinux chat[1230]: send ( AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0^M)
Oct  6 11:45:12 MangaLinux chat[1230]: expect (OK)
Oct  6 11:45:12 MangaLinux chat[1230]:  AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0^M^M
Oct  6 11:45:12 MangaLinux chat[1230]: OK
Oct  6 11:45:12 MangaLinux chat[1230]:  -- got it
Oct  6 11:45:12 MangaLinux chat[1230]: send (ATDT000000000000^M)
Oct  6 11:45:13 MangaLinux chat[1230]: expect (CONNECT)
Oct  6 11:45:13 MangaLinux chat[1230]: ^M
Oct  6 11:45:45 MangaLinux chat[1230]: ^M
Oct  6 11:45:45 MangaLinux chat[1230]: CONNECT
Oct  6 11:45:45 MangaLinux chat[1230]:  -- got it
Oct  6 11:45:45 MangaLinux chat[1230]: send (\d)
Oct  6 11:45:46 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: Serial connection established.
Oct  6 11:45:46 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: using channel 1
Oct  6 11:45:46 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: Using interface ppp0
Oct  6 11:45:46 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS4
Oct  6 11:45:47 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x2408d104> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  6 11:45:47 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
Oct  6 11:45:47 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <pcomp> <accomp> <endpoint
[MAC:00:d0:52:01:34:49]>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x2408d104> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
<asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x2408d104> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1
user="hatelinux" password=<hidden>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 ""]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr
192.168.0.55> <compress VJ 0f 01> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns3 0.0.0.0>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
<compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1
<compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 200.177.160.2>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 11
06 00 01 01 03>]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
Oct  6 11:45:50 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 11
06 00 01 01 03>]
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr
200.177.161.54> <ms-dns1 200.177.250.10> <ms-dns3 200.176.2.10>]
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr
200.177.161.54> <compress VJ 0f 01> <ms-dns1 200.177.250.10> <ms-dns3
200.176.2.10>]
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x1]
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr
200.177.161.54> <compress VJ 0f 01> <ms-dns1 200.177.250.10> <ms-dns3
200.176.2.10>]
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: local  IP address
200.177.161.54
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: remote IP address 200.177.160.2
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: primary   DNS address
200.177.250.10
Oct  6 11:45:51 MangaLinux pppd[1229]: secondary DNS address
200.176.2.10



>]   Can't ping or use inet apps ...............
>]   Following Bill Unruh's instructions , everything goes well.
>]/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS4 57600 debug user hatelinux connect
>]"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT000000000000 CONNECT '\d\c'"

>The negotiations are fine except that there seems to be a bit too much
>miscommunication between the two.
>Put in
>noccp
>into /etc/ppp/options, since the remote side cannot handle Linux compression
>anyway.

        Put it in , did not make much difference , so took it out
again
Quote:

>Run setserial /dev/ttyS4
>(are you sure it is S4? That is not oneof the standard com ports. This makes it
>especially important to make sure that characteristics are reported to linux
>properly) to see if the port is a 16550A .
        I'm sure

>Also make sure that the irq linux thinks the modem uses is the actual irq it really
>uses.
        Yes

>Also check the initialisation string to the modem. Donot use ATZ. Instead use AT&F
>( or AT&F1 for Sportster modems) to set up hardware flow control and factory
>defaults for your modem. I notice that here you do not set up any intialisation. It
>may help.

        I got them from my windows-driver inf file and added them to
the script

Quote:

>].......................
>]Interesting, although I have a dynamic assigned ppp
>]I got the same remote IP number 6 times, over an hour !!!
>]200.177.160.2 . Might be coincidence.
        ???
>]..............................
>]I can ping 200.177.160.2 , although I get some errors. (every 5 or 6
>]pings I get " expected ..(a lot of hex) , received ...(more hex)"
>]I cannot ping any other external address, either by name or number. My
>]lynx browser etc does not work (cannot resolve external address)
        Solved

>]My /etc/resolv.conf appears to be OK (this time I manually got the ip
>]of ns1.terra.com.br , ns2.terra.com.br etc).
>]/etc/resolv.conf

>]domain terra.com.br
>]nameserver 200.176.2.51
>]nameserver 200.176.2.174
>]nameserver 200.177.250.110

>]route -n brings nothing until I connect , then the ppp connection
>]appears.....
>]   What could be wrong ?? And why does it ask for my pass more
>]than once, then say everything is OK ?
>]   I will post the content of any log file if necessary

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:25:16



> I can surf, ping , ftp , just about anything now. Although ppp gets the
> number of the dns server , it does NOT put it in /etc/resolver.conf , as
> promised in the docs. I have to do that manually for the resolver to work.
> Bit of a pain in the a** , but if I was not a * I would not use
> linux , I suppose. :)

I believe it creates a file in /etc/ppp called resolv.conf with the entries
or check the /etc/ppp/ip-up script. When it runs after the PPP has been
negotiated, the DNS1 DNS2 environment vars are setup with the DNS IPs.

karl.

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by HateLin » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 11:32:19


On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:25:16 +0100, "Karl Heyes"



>> I can surf, ping , ftp , just about anything now. Although ppp gets the
>> number of the dns server , it does NOT put it in /etc/resolver.conf , as
>> promised in the docs. I have to do that manually for the resolver to work.
>> Bit of a pain in the a** , but if I was not a * I would not use
>> linux , I suppose. :)

>I believe it creates a file in /etc/ppp called resolv.conf with the entries
>or check the /etc/ppp/ip-up script. When it runs after the PPP has been
>negotiated, the DNS1 DNS2 environment vars are setup with the DNS IPs.

        But I cannot resolve any address until I copy the
/etc/ppp/resolver.conf created by pppd to /etc/resolver.conf. Probably
some hack around this. I'm re-reading the docs.
 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:48:09



]       I  tried turning off compression , tried adding modem Inits ,
]tried messing with my ports , all to no avail.

Things seem to be working now. Is there any problem now?

]I can surf, ping , ftp , just about anything now. Although ppp gets
]the number of the dns server , it does NOT put it in
]/etc/resolver.conf , as promised in the docs. I have to do that
]manually for the resolver to work. Bit of a pain in the a** , but if I

Read the docs again. ppppd puts them in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. You can put a script
into /etc/ip-up.local to transfer them from there to /etc/resolv.conf if you wish.

](I set up my PCI modem to /dev/ttyS4 (I had to make ttyS4 first) as
]according to cat /proc/pci it does not use a usual port address)
]/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq 3 port 0xe000 uart 16550A

You could have used any of the ttyS All of them are defined by the use of
setserial, just as you do for ttyS4. So you could have done the same for ttyS2 say
(or ttyS0 if you wished). Ie, there was no need to make and extra serial port (
unless all the others are used,).

]Here is my log:

Your log looked fine. What is now the problem?

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:50:14



]>I believe it creates a file in /etc/ppp called resolv.conf with the entries
]>or check the /etc/ppp/ip-up script. When it runs after the PPP has been
]>negotiated, the DNS1 DNS2 environment vars are setup with the DNS IPs.
]       But I cannot resolve any address until I copy the
]/etc/ppp/resolver.conf created by pppd to /etc/resolver.conf. Probably
]some hack around this. I'm re-reading the docs.

Yes, it is working as it is designed to work. It is your responsibility (eg in
ip-up.local) to transfer thsoe addresses to /etc/resolv.conf ( eg save the current
resolv.conf, copy over ppp/resolv.conf and in ip-down.local, reverse that
procedure.)

 
 
 

trouble with ppp

Post by HateLin » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:54:45



Quote:

>]Here is my log:

>Your log looked fine. What is now the problem?

        I feel ashamed over the bombing of civilian Afghan targets, as
I do have some English *.
        Also I'm trying to compile sendmail 8.12.1 from scratch
        and ...
        But hey , this is all off topic ...
        pppd solved
        Thanks all for the help...