access winnt from redhat 5.2 box

Post by Ming-ho » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi folks:

  My computer is partitioned by hda1( winnt) hda2 ( redhat5.2 linux).
I can access data from floppy ( /mnt/floppy) and cdrom (/mnt/cdrom)
through adding lines on /etc/fstab or manually mount command.
But I have difficulty in accessing data on hda1 ( winnt workstaion
hpfs format)

  /etc/fstab

   error message at booting time

  "
fat_read_super: Did not find valid FSINFO signature. Found 0x0
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 32,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022]
[me=0xf8,cs=1,#f=0,fs=0,fl=128,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=512,rc=0,fc=0]
Transaction block size = 512
VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 03:01.
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
or too many mounted file systems

  "

any suggestion will be appreciated.

thanks in advanced.

Mingho

access winnt from redhat 5.2 box

Post by Flavio Curt » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

hi
your error-message:
Quote:> fat_read_super: Did not find valid FSINFO signature. Found 0x0
> [MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 32,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022]

comes from trying to mount a ntfs-formatted drive in vfat mode. vfat is
for win95/98 with long filenames. but NT uses NTFS, the New Technology
File-System... means incompatible with everything there was before...

however, there is a ntfs-driver for linux, allowing you (till now) onyl
to read files from your ntfs-drive. take a look at:
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/ntfs/

hope it helps & greetz

flavio

1. Marrying RedHat 5.2 with WinNT 4.0

Please debunk any myths or fantasies I have about my perfect setup:

I have two systems that I would like to marry together in a LAN.

-System 1, Code name "Delta":  A 586 clocked at 166 MHz, with 64M ram,
two EIDE hds at 1.6G and 2.0G and an ATAPI CD-ROM.  This system also
contains a soundcard, a generic NIC and a Winmodem(TM).

Delta is configured and runs RH5.2 rather nicely.  I use this machine
primarily for PERL development and to learn more Linux...  The modem is
worthless, of course...

-System 2, Code name "Zeta":  A P3 clocked at 500 MHz, with 128M ram, a
25 gig EIDE hd, etc., etc.  (don't wanna toot the horn).

Zeta currently runs Win98 but a copy of NT Server 4.0 is on the way for
this machine.

My Dream ---

1. To marry these two systems together through a small ethernet hub.

2. To use the NT box as a gateway to the Internet, thus allowing "Delta"
Inet access.
 Example:  NT box is DUNned into my ISP.  I can reach the net and use
Netscape from Red Hat....

3. To use the NT box as a print server.
 Example:  Printer hooked to LPT1 of my NT box.  I can print docs from
Red Hat...

4. To be able to share files between these machines.
  Example:  My guess is that under RedHat I could mount a NFS of my NT
hd?  But not visa versa.?

Now I am aware of Samba...  I have little knowledge of it, but it
appears, from what I have read, that it should make my dreams reality.

Is this convoluted setup possible or am I just fooling myself?  Now I
don't need advice about how to do it, yet...   I just need the
reassurance that such a dream is possible.

--
^^^---^^^---^^^---^^^---^^^---^^^
jwefler        wef at wwa dot com

2. GNOME problems

3. Changing Windw Managers on a Alpha redhat 5.2 box

4. login _getclass:unknown class

5. Should I need to buy new box set of RedHat Linux 5.2?

6. `ip a` - missing aliases

7. peer to peer network with 2 Redhat 5.2 Linux boxes

8. UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell (Monthly Posting)

9. redhat 5.2 on an XL300 box

10. RedHat 5.2 and Samba on a Server, And a Win/95 Box...Help

11. Remote CVS Access Broke With RedHat 5.2 Linux Upgrade

12. "open() failed" problem when accessing SCSI scanner from Redhat 5.2

13. Redhat 5.2 - Can't Get Internet Access Going