1. Marrying RedHat 5.2 with WinNT 4.0
Please debunk any myths or fantasies I have about my perfect setup:
I have two systems that I would like to marry together in a LAN.
-System 1, Code name "Delta": A 586 clocked at 166 MHz, with 64M ram,
two EIDE hds at 1.6G and 2.0G and an ATAPI CD-ROM. This system also
contains a soundcard, a generic NIC and a Winmodem(TM).
Delta is configured and runs RH5.2 rather nicely. I use this machine
primarily for PERL development and to learn more Linux... The modem is
worthless, of course...
-System 2, Code name "Zeta": A P3 clocked at 500 MHz, with 128M ram, a
25 gig EIDE hd, etc., etc. (don't wanna toot the horn).
Zeta currently runs Win98 but a copy of NT Server 4.0 is on the way for
My Dream ---
1. To marry these two systems together through a small ethernet hub.
2. To use the NT box as a gateway to the Internet, thus allowing "Delta"
Example: NT box is DUNned into my ISP. I can reach the net and use
Netscape from Red Hat....
3. To use the NT box as a print server.
Example: Printer hooked to LPT1 of my NT box. I can print docs from
4. To be able to share files between these machines.
Example: My guess is that under RedHat I could mount a NFS of my NT
hd? But not visa versa.?
Now I am aware of Samba... I have little knowledge of it, but it
appears, from what I have read, that it should make my dreams reality.
Is this convoluted setup possible or am I just fooling myself? Now I
don't need advice about how to do it, yet... I just need the
reassurance that such a dream is possible.
jwefler wef at wwa dot com
2. GNOME problems
3. Changing Windw Managers on a Alpha redhat 5.2 box
4. login _getclass:unknown class
5. Should I need to buy new box set of RedHat Linux 5.2?
6. `ip a` - missing aliases
7. peer to peer network with 2 Redhat 5.2 Linux boxes
8. UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell (Monthly Posting)
9. redhat 5.2 on an XL300 box
10. RedHat 5.2 and Samba on a Server, And a Win/95 Box...Help
11. Remote CVS Access Broke With RedHat 5.2 Linux Upgrade
12. "open() failed" problem when accessing SCSI scanner from Redhat 5.2
13. Redhat 5.2 - Can't Get Internet Access Going