Why is it leaving home?

Post by I_test4echo » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I have a weird issue with my network at home.
The following situation has happened on every kernel I've used and on both
phone modems and Cable modems.  Thus, I am aware it must have to do with my
routing setup.  But I am not at the point of fully understanding all
techniques as of yet.

I setup ipchains/masq. so that my other computers on the network can route
to the internet.  The strange part is this:  When I ping/ftp/telnet/etc.., I
notice that the Linux box first attempts to go out to the internet before
realizing that the address I am trying to access is ITSELF!  It then replies
fine.  My worry is that when I access the Linux box via Telnet or Ftp, is my
password going out to the world of "sniffers"?  And if so, how do I tell the
Linux box to keep those requests "in-house".

I am betting that this is most likely a VERY easy fix.  If you can, can you
also explain what the fix is actually doing please?

Thank you, in advance, for your kindness,

Frank

1. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

I'm running Red Hat Linux 4.1.  For Bash, I'd like to be able to associate
different commands to the left arrow key, ctl-left and alt-left.  Likewise for
the right arrow key.  Unfortunately, "cat -t" and "ctl-v" both report that all
variants of left generate the same keystroke;  likewise for right.  Is there any
way to generate a different command for each variant?

Dave Morgenlender

2. AfterStep, M4, set up for user?

3. Why Solaris use /export/home instead of /home?

4. Help! I've Telnetted myself into a box.

5. Howto keep users from leaving home

6. NEED !!! smbclient - NFS - like Lan Manager client program ?

7. How to catch keys like CTRL+LEFT, CTRL+HOME etc. in Linux?

8. New and Updated Java & XML Technologies from alphaWorks

9. How to prevent users from leaving their home directory!

10. Installing a new distro while leaving /home intact

11. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?

12. Home Net -- What am I missing?

13. Why I left Linux for Windows.