Dial-Up During Cable Modem Connection.

Post by Gazz » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:09:08

Hi,

I have a cable modem connection to the internet which works just great but I
have to use dial-up to access the FTP service of one of my web hosting
companies.  The first two lines of the output of ifconfig for the PPP
connection is like this (exact IP addresses vary, of course):

ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
        inet addr:212.134.22.23  P-t-P:195.40.10.8  Mask:255.255.255.255

What do I need to type at the command line after dial-up so that all my FTP
access goes through the dial-up modem and everything else goes through the
cable modem?

Yours,
Gary Hayward.

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:44:28

> I have a cable modem connection to the internet which works just
> great but I have to use dial-up to access the FTP service of one
> of my web hosting companies.  The first two lines of the output of
> ifconfig for the PPP connection is like this (exact IP addresses
> vary, of course):
> ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>         inet addr:212.134.22.23  P-t-P:195.40.10.8  Mask:255.255.255.255
> What do I need to type at the command line after dial-up so that
> all my FTP access goes through the dial-up modem and everything
> else goes through the cable modem?

If only one IP address is to be used for the ftp access then entering

route add ip_address_for_ftp ppp0

to create a host route should do it.  You'll need to be sure the pppd
defaultroute option is not used.

In the absence of a compelling reason not to do so, it would be easier
to add the line

/sbin/route add ip_address_for_ftp $1

to /etc/ppp/ip-up (or to ip-up.local for some distributions) than it
would be to enter the route at a command line after each PPP connection
is established.

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/*  "PPPoE has many advantages for DSL service providers, and
    practically none for DSL consumers."
                      - David F. Skoll                           */

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:07:45

>> I have a cable modem connection to the internet which works just
>> great but I have to use dial-up to access the FTP service of one
>> of my web hosting companies.  The first two lines of the output of
>> ifconfig for the PPP connection is like this (exact IP addresses
>> vary, of course):

>> ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>>         inet addr:212.134.22.23  P-t-P:195.40.10.8  Mask:255.255.255.255

>> What do I need to type at the command line after dial-up so that
>> all my FTP access goes through the dial-up modem and everything
>> else goes through the cable modem?

> If only one IP address is to be used for the ftp access then entering

> route add ip_address_for_ftp ppp0

> to create a host route should do it.  You'll need to be sure the pppd
> defaultroute option is not used.

Not sure if that would work unless dialing directly to the ftp server (in
which case host route would already exist), since it is likely NOT a
directly connected IP and best to be more specific.  It would need a -host
or -net route to that ftpd IP or network using remote ppp IP as gateway
(gw).  Since pppd typically automatically adds a host route to remote ppp
IP it would just need:

route add -host ftpd_ip gw 195.40.10.8 dev ppp0

(or -net route with proper netmask if needed to reach other machines on
that network).  Also see below.

Quote:> In the absence of a compelling reason not to do so, it would be easier
> to add the line

> /sbin/route add ip_address_for_ftp $1

> to /etc/ppp/ip-up (or to ip-up.local for some distributions) than it
> would be to enter the route at a command line after each PPP connection
> is established.

Or better:

/sbin/route add -host ftpd_ip gw $5 dev $1
(or -net route with netmask)

Post by Clifford Kit » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:03:07

>>> I have a cable modem connection to the internet which works just
>>> great but I have to use dial-up to access the FTP service of one
>>> of my web hosting companies.  The first two lines of the output of
>>> ifconfig for the PPP connection is like this (exact IP addresses
>>> vary, of course):

>>> ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>>>         inet addr:212.134.22.23  P-t-P:195.40.10.8  Mask:255.255.255.255

>>> What do I need to type at the command line after dial-up so that
>>> all my FTP access goes through the dial-up modem and everything
>>> else goes through the cable modem?

>> If only one IP address is to be used for the ftp access then entering

>> route add ip_address_for_ftp ppp0

>> to create a host route should do it.  You'll need to be sure the pppd
>> defaultroute option is not used.
> Not sure if that would work unless dialing directly to the ftp server (in
> which case host route would already exist), since it is likely NOT a
> directly connected IP and best to be more specific.  It would need a -host

How can you be more specific than a host route?

A host route assures that any traffic for the specified host will go
out via that route and reach the peer.  If the peer is the ftp server
then, as you point out, the route already exists (but no harm is done
by attempting to establish it twice).

If the peer is one that provides indirect access (e.g. Internet) then
the ftp traffic will be sent to it and passed to the web-site host, but
no other traffic will go out the PPP interface - except traffic sent to
the peer itself via the host route automatically established by pppd.

Quote:> or -net route to that ftpd IP or network using remote ppp IP as gateway
> (gw).  Since pppd typically automatically adds a host route to remote ppp
> IP it would just need:
> route add -host ftpd_ip gw 195.40.10.8 dev ppp0

How is this more specific?  You can manually replace 195.40.10.8 with
any non-local IP address and it would make no difference, i.e., adding
"gw 195.40.10.8" does nothing to make the routing more specific.

Quote:> (or -net route with proper netmask if needed to reach other machines
> on that network).  Also see below.

I can't think of any reason why a network route would be necessary
in this case unless he needs access to several web hosts for the same
company on a particular subnet.  It seemed to me that he needed access
to only one, but if he needs access to several hosts at one company then
one network route might be appropriate.  Another alternative would be
to add a host route for each of his web-site hosts there.

Quote:>> In the absence of a compelling reason not to do so, it would be easier
>> to add the line

>> /sbin/route add ip_address_for_ftp $1

>> to /etc/ppp/ip-up (or to ip-up.local for some distributions) than it
>> would be to enter the route at a command line after each PPP connection
>> is established.
> Or better:
> /sbin/route add -host ftpd_ip gw $5 dev $1
> (or -net route with netmask)

If you are going to add a network route, that "or" can be important in
these days of CIDR (although traffic to, say a classful C network, that
was not meant for a web-site host in a subnet of it would be unlikely).

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make
 * them good candidates for archiving.
 *    --- Mike Moraes, Answers to FAQs about Usenet */

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. "martian destination" still plaguing me

3. Cable Modem Dial Up Connection Software for Linux ( Continue )

4. NFS Server - Microsoft "Windows Services for UNIX"

5. How do I observe connection status during dial-up ppp attempt?

6. voodoo3 and X setup

7. PPP over serial cable to share dial-up connection?

8. ipsec & dynamic IP, is there a softeware packet ?

9. cable modem account and dial-up account

10. Dial-up -> Cable modem steps?

11. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

12. Dial ups during connecting pop3 accounts

13. Linux Multilink PPP connection with 2 dial-up modems