Connecting Linux & Win95

Post by Matthew Richardso » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello from the soggy Pacific Northwest :),

        I would like to cennect my Win95 box to my Linux box so that my Win95
machine can use the Linux machines PPP connection. I know I need to
implement a TCP/IP connection between the 2, but I'm not sure what
how-to or FAQ covers that. Both machines have NE2000 compatible Ethernet
Cards.  Also, would it be worth my time to implement Samba for file and
print sharing?  THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ASSISTANCE!

Later,
Matt

Under worked unpaid student :)

Connecting Linux & Win95

Post by den.. » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>         I would like to cennect my Win95 box to my Linux box so that my Win95
> machine can use the Linux machines PPP connection. I know I need to
> implement a TCP/IP connection between the 2, but I'm not sure what
> how-to or FAQ covers that. Both machines have NE2000 compatible Ethernet
> Cards.  Also, would it be worth my time to implement Samba for file and
> print sharing?  THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ASSISTANCE!

I run a local office network using linux as my server, I run TCP/IP on
my win 95 box and have samba set-up.  I don't use the Inet from the
linux box, bot would assume that if the linux box is happy with the net,
the win95 box would also, once connected.  I run a simple 10base-T
ethernet, using a variety of ne200, and 3com cards(3com cards rock!)
just recompile the kernel for your appropriate ethernet card, then you
should be pretty much bea ready to go. my routing table looks like this:
Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags MSS    Window Use
Iface
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     1500   0       57
eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     3584   0       29
lo
default         *               *               U     1500   0        0
eth0
yuma:~#

I do have Samba set up it is way kewl!!, but first just get the telnets
and ftp's to work.. from teh win95 box the win95 boxes are set up like
this, for just TCP/IP (telnet,ftp,etc)
ADAPTER: ne200
PROTOCOL: TCP/IP -> ADAPTER
Nothing more
TCP/IP is set up like this:
IP: Specified (i use 1.2.3.8, and subnet just like up above in route)
WINS: DISABLED
GATEWAY: disabled
BINDINGS: NONE
DNS: Enabled( i set it up on the linux box(BIG PAIN!, BUT KEWL) )
        Host. yuma
        domain?: tdyc.com
        ip: 1.2.3.4 (linux ip #)
        DSSO: NONE

THAT IS IT!
for samba( set up samb on the linux box(read the docs) then on the win95
machines just add:
CLIENT: Microsoft Networks
   MAKE SURE YOU BIND TCP/IP to use the Microsoft NEtwork!!
then your there. :) use network neighborhood
  Network neighborhood does*up on me time to time I normally right
click and use find computers

TTYL!'

Connecting Linux & Win95

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>    I would like to cennect my Win95 box to my Linux box so that my Win95
>machine can use the Linux machines PPP connection. I know I need to
>implement a TCP/IP connection between the 2, but I'm not sure what
>how-to or FAQ covers that.

Setting up the connection is just a case of doing it.  It's bog
standard network stuff so just follow the NET-2-HOWTO.  Using a PPP
connection for 2 machines (without the co-operation of your ISP)
requires Masquerading.

Quote:>Also, would it be worth my time to implement Samba for file and
>print sharing?

How the *?s%^ should we know?  Samba will give you file and print
sharing but only you can tell how much this is worth to you.

Connecting Linux & Win95

Post by t. smit » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hello from the soggy Pacific Northwest :),

>         I would like to cennect my Win95 box to my Linux box so that my Win95
> machine can use the Linux machines PPP connection. I know I need to
> implement a TCP/IP connection between the 2, but I'm not sure what
> how-to or FAQ covers that. Both machines have NE2000 compatible Ethernet
> Cards.

I just got this exact thing working tonight !! So I'll give you some
tips.
  First, I assume you have the NE2000 cards correctly talking ? I assume
you can ping between your Win95 and Linux machines.  Also, I assume you
have a good PPP connection to an ISP available to the Internet from your
Linux box.  Now, you have realized that Linux provides a much better
connection and you want to use it's PPP implementation, so....now...
  What I did..I recompiled the kernel to include IP-Masquerading and
Firewalls...there's a totally super-excellent MINI-HOWTO on
IP-Masquerading that tell you exactly what to do.
   After this recompilation of the kernel, I edited my Win95
NE2000>TCP/IP properties exactly as it says in the mini-howto, and
restarted Linux, and gave two command line parameters per the mini-howto
and it worked beautifully....can use Netscape on Win95 whilst connected
to the Inernet via my Linux PPP.

Quote:> Also, would it be worth my time to implement Samba for file and
> print sharing?  THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ASSISTANCE!

   IF you have an urge to see your Linux files on Win95 then yes. If you
just want to be able to share them, then an easier way is to configure
Win95 simply to share its drives ( make them 'shareable'), then Win95
starts acting as its own dumb server to anyone. Then, get the 'smbmout'
utility package. This will allow you to mount those Win95 'shares' on a
directory in Linux, say /mnt/Win95, and you can start sharing files from
both boxes on the Linux box.
   smbmount program doesn't require *anything* to do with the Samba
package, but I think you have to recompile the kernel to allow the smbfs
filesystem support.

--tom--

=====================================

1. Connecting a WIN95 & Linux Box via Direct Cable Connection

Hi There,

  I am trying use a direct cable connection via printer port. I want to
have the Linux machine do my Internet connection dial-up and then surf with
the win95 machine. I have done at work using Coax RG-58 cable and an
Ethernet card, but, has anyone made it happen with the WIN95 Direct Cable
Connection to the Linux machine?

  Thanks in advance for any help.

Owen Greaves

2. can't install xanim-full: bogus dependency message

3. Connecting Win95 & Linux by ethernet

4. How to get Apache Server (1.03) to do save of unkown file types

5. Connecting Win95 & Linux with a cable

6. AST Compatible Multiport Serial Card

7. LILO & win95 & dos & Linux

8. telnet problem .

9. Linux & Win95 = Frozen Win95

10. Linux router supporting Win95&98 workstations - Win95 cannot find other LAN hosts

11. Samba & Win95 -- Cannot Connect :-(

12. How to connect PPPD & Win95 DUN via Null Modem

13. Win95 && Loadlin to load Linux