Could not reverse map address xx.xx.xx.xx???

Could not reverse map address xx.xx.xx.xx???

Post by kent » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:05:33

when I use telnet or ssh to connect to my server throuth adsl direcly there
is no problem, but after i adding a router to share the broadband(using
buffulo airstation) login is no problem, but after the x terminal idle for
serveral minutes it disconnects from the server(the same story if I use
putty), but if keep something running say ping a ipaddress it will not
disconnect forever, I check the /var/log/secure there's a message "Mar 17
10:45:17 ser01 sshd[32030]:Could not reverse map address
XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX",  what's the problem, do I need to set something in the
router??

Post by Allen Kistle » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:33:37

> when I use telnet or ssh to connect to my server throuth adsl direcly there
> is no problem, but after i adding a router to share the broadband(using
> buffulo airstation) login is no problem, but after the x terminal idle for
> serveral minutes it disconnects from the server(the same story if I use
> putty), but if keep something running say ping a ipaddress it will not
> disconnect forever, I check the /var/log/secure there's a message "Mar 17
> 10:45:17 ser01 sshd[32030]:Could not reverse map address
> XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX",  what's the problem, do I need to set something in the
> router??

It's not deadly.  It just means that when sshd tried to see if it could
find a hostname for your ssh client, whatever DNS server it asked was
clueless about you.

Unless you screwed up your DNS config, adding a router shouldn't have
changed anything.  Did you get your DNS settings by DHCP before but now
you're running without DNS?  Can you do nslookup/dig from your sshd box?

Could not reverse map address xx.xx.xx.xx???

Post by kent » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:45:18

Thanks for your response, allen!
I can do nslookup/dig from sshd box.
I use fixe DNS server on the server.
what should do next? thanks.

Post by Allen Kistle » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:25:40

> Thanks for your response, allen!
> I can do nslookup/dig from sshd box.
> I use fixe DNS server on the server.
> what should do next? thanks.

>>It's not deadly.  It just means that when sshd tried to see if it could
>>find a hostname for your ssh client, whatever DNS server it asked was
>>clueless about you.

>>Unless you screwed up your DNS config, adding a router shouldn't have
>>changed anything.  Did you get your DNS settings by DHCP before but now
>>you're running without DNS?  Can you do nslookup/dig from your sshd box?

Verify you can do a reverse DNS lookup for your client IP address from
any machine, whatever its topological connectivity.  I'm not convinced
you didn't have the error before.  And like I said, it's not deadly.

1. firewall kernel: martian source 196.xx.xx.xx from 165,146.xx.xx on dev eth0 ???

hi there,

I'v noticed in my logs the following on my Redhat iptables box

firewall kernel: martian source 196.xx.xx.xx from 165,146.xx.xx on dev
eth0
196.xx.xx.xx being the internet ip on eth0

the 165.xx.xx.xx is my ISP up on my machine at home, i noticed these
messages at the time time i tried to connect from my home machine to
the 196.xxx.x.x box
the connection to ssh was timmed out ???

what can this be .. i read about martain messages bing spoof messages.
but the addrss if my ip of my home machine , ISP assigned.

anyone with any idea's ?

Thank in advance for any advice

2. SPARC serial port help

3. connection was refused when connect to xx.xx.xx.xx

4. Net: 10 messages surpressed

5. BAD MAC = XX:XX:XX ...

6. Dual NICs service flops on startups...

7. modules-XX.XX.XX where?

8. X hangs :(

9. regular expression to parse 0,xx/xx/xx and replace 0 in GPEP

10. 10.xx.xx.xx network?

11. Ooops..."libc.2.xx" --> "libc-4.2.xx"

12. Modem and linux 2.0.xx / 2.1.xx

13. Kernels! v1.3.xx or v1.2.xx?!