Another POP3 question...(Re:Stupid POP3 questoin)

Post by Subhas Ro » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Thankx to all u guys...i have the Mail system, POPClient, Internet, blah blah
> working on my linux box....Now, the question is, whenever, i send out a mail
> from my linux box, it gets queued in the sendmail queue, and eventually gets
> sent out (some mails take as much as 1 hour to cleanup off the mailq) when the
> mail finally decides to leave my m/c...now, If i install a POP3 server on my
> machine, can i transfer my mail to the ISP system, so that it gets on to his
> mail queue instead of mine, so that i can shut down the PPP connection soon
> after i  send mails ? ( I dont use news or www everytime i login to my ISP...)

(assuming sendmail 8.7.4 or later)

Say your ISP's SMTP server is mailhost.isp.net. Then
in the /etc/sendmail.cf, replace the line that starts with "DS"
by "DSmailhost.isp.net". Restart sendmail. Next time you use
sendmail, sendmail will automatically forward your
nonlocal emails to your ISP's SMTP server. This has advantages
like, if the email bounces, returned
mail will sit on your ISP-provided mailbox.

 Don't try to run POP server on your PC with a dynamic IP.

 If you invoke sendmail (at the boot time) using
   sendmail -bd -q60s
 then sendmail will run in the background as a daemon process and it
 will process the saved messages in the queue every 60 seconds.

Quote:> Thankx in advance,

--

Post by umes » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Thankx to all u guys...i have the Mail system, POPClient, Internet, blah blah
working on my linux box....Now, the question is, whenever, i send out a mail
from my linux box, it gets queued in the sendmail queue, and eventually gets
sent out (some mails take as much as 1 hour to cleanup off the mailq) when the
mail finally decides to leave my m/c...now, If i install a POP3 server on my
machine, can i transfer my mail to the ISP system, so that it gets on to his
mail queue instead of mine, so that i can shut down the PPP connection soon
after i  send mails ? ( I dont use news or www everytime i login to my ISP...)
Thankx in advance,
-Umesh