NIS woes on update of maps

Post by Joe Potte » Mon, 20 May 2002 07:01:05

Hello all,

I am just getting started with NIS and NFS.

I have NIS working and I can log into my client box with users
known only to the server --- just as I wanted.

However, it *looks* like to have to reboot server and client to
make any changes become effective. I know this can not be true,
so what am i missing here?

How does one change add a user on the server, and then that user
can logon the client? (without re-booting every box)

Thanks.

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user #225822

NIS woes on update of maps

Post by Joe Potte » Mon, 20 May 2002 10:59:30

>> Hello all,

>> I am just getting started with NIS and NFS.

>> I have NIS working and I can log into my client box with users
>> known only to the server --- just as I wanted.

>> However, it *looks* like to have to reboot server and client
>> to make any changes become effective. I know this can not be
>> true, so what am i missing here?

>> How does one change add a user on the server, and then that
>> user can logon the client? (without re-booting every box)

> On the server: cd /var/yp; make
> is normally all you need to do to incorporate any changes into
> the NIS maps. The clients get the data from the server when
> needed so they should see the data right away.

I forgot to allow 127.0.0.1 as allowed in the securenets file!
The server could only see the maps at boot time. I need glasses.
:-)

Now, it works just as you say.

Thanks for your help.

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user #225822

1. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

Platform: Suse Linux Professional 9.1

Changing a passwd on an NIS client using the passwd command works
fine.  The /etc/shadow and shadow.byname map gets updated on the NIS
server machine.

However, changing a passwd on the NIS server using the passwd command
only updates the /etc/shadow file.  The shadow.byname map does not get
updated.  The only way I can think of to fix this is to set up a cron
job to periodically run
make -C /var/yp

I am using Thorsten Kukuk's pam_unix2.so module which is suppose to be
 "clever" enough to find out whether the account it's dealing with is
local or NIS but it does not appear to work.

Any idea what's wrong?

2. Network connection problem

3. Update NIS maps on demand problem

4. Internal Modem Question

5. Problems updating NIS maps on 3.2.5

6. Problems installing 2.0 kernel source RPM under Redhat 3.0.3

7. Update a NIS map thru C program

8. Thesaurus for Linux

9. passwd command does not update shadow.byname NIS map

10. Why doesn't passwd/yppasswd update NIS passwd maps?

11. NIS maps not updating

12. amd and NIS maps: No source data for map amd.home

13. Need suggestions for passwd map when sharing NIS maps in multiple domains.