Routing Question (NEWBIE)

Post by John Smit » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to use my Redhat 5.2 box to route internet information.  I
have a strange need though.  I want all computers (5) on 192.168.0.x to
have direct internet access to all ports (HTTP, FTP, Games(2000-40000))
so a proxy is out.  The host computer has a 10base connection direct to
the internet. (At Auburn University, AL)  The computer is not behind a
firewall.

Is this possible, at all? With Linux, Unix NT or the like?  Any input
would be appreciated, as I am new to this.

Routing Question (NEWBIE)

Post by root » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to use my Redhat 5.2 box to route internet information.  I
> have a strange need though.  I want all computers (5) on 192.168.0.x to
> have direct internet access to all ports (HTTP, FTP, Games(2000-40000))
> so a proxy is out.  The host computer has a 10base connection direct to
> the internet. (At Auburn University, AL)  The computer is not behind a
> firewall.

> Is this possible, at all? With Linux, Unix NT or the like?  Any input
> would be appreciated, as I am new to this.

This can be done (I believe) with ipfwadm.  I'm using IP Masquerading
through ipfwadm to route www, and ftp requests on my internal
192.168.202.x network.  So far, I haven't had any problems.  For some info
on how to set it up, check out  http://www.xos.nl/linux/ipfwadm/paper/ .
Unless I'm totally off base, and I may well be : -) you should be able to
masquerade any port you want.

Note: Signature stolen from some other poor schmuck

Unix had menus and icons before M$DO$ even had a decent memory manager.

Routing Question (NEWBIE)

Post by Brian McCaule » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to use my Redhat 5.2 box to route internet information.  I
> have a strange need though.  I want all computers (5) on 192.168.0.x to
> have direct internet access to all ports (HTTP, FTP, Games(2000-40000))
> so a proxy is out.  The host computer has a 10base connection direct to
> the internet. (At Auburn University, AL)  The computer is not behind a
> firewall.

> Is this possible, at all?

No.  "direct internet access" means (tautalogically) that you must
have a real IP address.

If you don't have a real IP address you _must_ have some sort of proxy
or network address translation (NAT).

HTTP will operate over Linux IP-Masquerading (a simple form of NAT
supported by Linux as standard) without any help.

There is a helper for using FTP over IP-Masquerading.

Some games can operate over IP-Masquerading, some games can't.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

Routing Question (NEWBIE)

Post by Patrick Tavare » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Yes this is possible.  However, the box that you are gonna use to route
must have two NIC (ethernet cards) and two IP addresses, one for each
card.  Once you have this setup, you only have the task of creating a
routing table and then you are set.

-Patrick Tavares

> I am trying to use my Redhat 5.2 box to route internet information.  I
> have a strange need though.  I want all computers (5) on 192.168.0.x to
> have direct internet access to all ports (HTTP, FTP, Games(2000-40000))
> so a proxy is out.  The host computer has a 10base connection direct to
> the internet. (At Auburn University, AL)  The computer is not behind a
> firewall.

> Is this possible, at all? With Linux, Unix NT or the like?  Any input
> would be appreciated, as I am new to this.

1. IPX routing question (newbie)

I'll try to be brief and informative at the same time.

I've installed FreeBSD 4.1 from the Walnut Creek book.

I have two network cards(ep0 and fxp0) in my P233.  I edited my own
kernel and had these
options in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

defaultrouter="NO"
gateway_enable="YES"
router_enable="YES"
ipxgateway_enable="YES"
ipxrouted_enable="YES"

I am attempting to use the machine to route IP and IPX.  IP seems not to
be a problem.
IPX, on the other hand, is nowhere to be seen.  I''ve tried not using
IPXrouted (double
checking that it was off by ps -ax | grep IPX) and just binding the
cards:

ipconfig ed0 ipx 0x<Novell BIND NET number>
ipconfig fxp0 ipx 0x<Novell BIND NET number>

Still not moving IPX to the second card, but now if I type netstat -fipx
-r, I get:

<Novell BIND NET number>.*  <Novell BIND NET number>.<MAC>  U  fxp0

What in the heck am I doing wrong? Why only one card?
I'm using 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 for my gateways and I even have my

DNS working with reverse lookup.  TCP/IP is fine.  It's just IPX.

Either way, when I look at net.ipx.ipx.ipxforwarding it's set to 1.

Another odd thing.  When I boot up, I get this weird message:

routing daemons: NONO not found.

Is there a "NO with a "NO" after it in a *.conf file that I'm missing?

I've looked at http://people.freebsd.org/~bp/ipxen.html, but maybe I'm
missing something
obvious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Michael Delorme

2. Named is trashing routing table + smail configuration problem

3. Newbie default gw route question

4. sound card

5. Problem with IP Masquerade + routed internal network (pretty newbie question)

6. NT Woes: ComputerWorld Letter to Editor

7. Netgear Route/Linux DHCP Question from Newbie

8. fsck problem

9. Newbie Routing Question

10. routing newbie question

11. Newbie question - Solaris and Routing

12. Newbie routing question

13. route newbie question