lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Post by Morten Ranhei » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:27:23



Hi all,

Well, the subject tells all about my problem. I got one w2k PC with a HP
Laserjet 2100 shared on my network. My PC got RH 8.0 with the LPRng
v3.8-20 installed. Each time I start lpd i get this annoying "answer":

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

What I have done is telnet locahost 515, run nmap -sS <my-IP> and
checked all kind of configuration files like hosts, printcap, services,
etc.... All seems to be okay.

What can I do?

Hope someone can help me before I get mad. :-)

Best regards,

Morten Ranheim

 
 
 

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:14:15



> Well, the subject tells all about my problem. I got one w2k PC with a HP
> Laserjet 2100 shared on my network. My PC got RH 8.0 with the LPRng
> v3.8-20 installed. Each time I start lpd i get this annoying "answer":

> lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Try:
'netstat -atn' to see if something is already listening on 515.
'lsof -i TCP:515' (as root) to see what program is using it.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

 
 
 

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Post by Morten Ranhei » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:27:13


Hi David,

The netstat gave me two answers. Both where the ip 0.0.0.0 where
listening on port 515.

The strange thing is that the running lsof -i TCP:515, told me that the
printer is listening on that port. However when I start lpd it still
says: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

I can't into my best knowledge understand what the problem is! Anymore
you can provide me with?

Thanks.

Regards,

Morten Ranheim



>>Well, the subject tells all about my problem. I got one w2k PC with a HP
>>Laserjet 2100 shared on my network. My PC got RH 8.0 with the LPRng
>>v3.8-20 installed. Each time I start lpd i get this annoying "answer":

>>lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

> Try:
> 'netstat -atn' to see if something is already listening on 515.
> 'lsof -i TCP:515' (as root) to see what program is using it.

 
 
 

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Post by Tomislav Sajd » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:22:04



> Hi all,

> Well, the subject tells all about my problem. I got one w2k PC with a HP
> Laserjet 2100 shared on my network. My PC got RH 8.0 with the LPRng
> v3.8-20 installed. Each time I start lpd i get this annoying "answer":

> lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

It is very likely that CUPS deamon is running at that port. (look for
cups-lpd)

Tomislav

 
 
 

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:05:20



> Hi David,

> The netstat gave me two answers. Both where the ip 0.0.0.0 where
> listening on port 515.

Is one an ipv6 address?

Quote:> The strange thing is that the running lsof -i TCP:515, told me that the
> printer is listening on that port. However when I start lpd it still
> says: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

Try:  ps ax | grep lpd

You are apparently trying to start an lpd when one is already running
bound to that port.  Check wherever your boot messages are logged and your
initscripts (usually in /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d) to see what is starting
an lpd and if it is the same one you are attempting to start.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

 
 
 

1. Lpr: can't bind to port 515 problem

Hi,

I am trying to configure by RH 8.0 to print against our W2k server which
acts as a print server. Everything seems to be okay except when the
print services starts. I always get an error telling me something like:
"Fatal error: lpr can't bind to port 515". When I do a nmap request the
port 515 is up and it seems okay. I have also checked that 'services' is
okay which it is.

What can I do? All help is appreciated.

Thanks..

Regards,

Morten Ranheim

2. Installing FreeBSD from linux-partition

3. LPD and port 515

4. AGP support

5. lpd on commanline does nothing...and it's there at /usr/sbin/lpd ?

6. Listserver

7. lpd - can't connect? lpd.perms OK?

8. in coma for 2 years - now libc 5.4.46

9. Linux's LPD problem... any newer lpd?

10. lpd on commandline does nothing...and it's there at /usr/sbin/lpd ?

11. Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/lp0'

12. How do I prevent process from binding to printer port (515)?

13. lpd stopped working error = 'connection refused'