Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Post by James Hartwic » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00



I am new to Linux.
Im attempting to get my network card installed into my Linux box...  I have
a Intel EtherExpress16 ISA.  I am not sure if this card is supported (It is
an older card).

On boot up, when linux tries to bring eth0 up I am told that the
initialization process is delayed.  I am assuming that this means it is not
configured correctly, or it is not supported.

I have passed some of the tech specs through the lilo prompt in hopes that
the card would be autodetected... this didnt work. (ether=irq,base
addr,param1,param2,eth0)

I can ping the localhost (127.0.0.1) but I cannot ping the assigned
ipaddress successfully (192.168.0.1)... my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
file looks like this (truncated):
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.0.9
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

My /etc/sysconfig/network file includes the following:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=eusebeis
DOMAINNAME=home
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

Th card itself appears to be working (well, the most I can say is that the
connection and activity lights seem to be performing as per spec.)

I have just installed Redhat 6.2.  BUT The OS was installed onto the HD in
another machine, then I recompiled the kernel and put the HD into the
machine it is in now:
486DX
32MB Ram
3.2GB HS ( 1.2GB for / filesystem and 2.xGB for /usr filesystem, and 32MB
for swap)

The system did detect and run through the network card in the original
system.  Unfortunately this is a PCI card and there are no PCI slots in its
current machine so I can't switch the cards.  I did reboot the machine with
no network cards in it at one point (doing this in Windows sometimes helped
when you were changing the brand of hardware)  I am not sure if the Kernel
is still looking for the original network card, how to check, or how to even
change this if it is.

If someone could point me in the right direction, or give me some new ideas
to try, I would be very appreciative.  I can also provide any other
pertinent information that I have left out here.

Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Post by Alai » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00


James Hartwick heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Quote:>I am new to Linux.
>Im attempting to get my network card installed into my Linux box...  I have
>a Intel EtherExpress16 ISA.  I am not sure if this card is supported (It is
>an older card).

>On boot up, when linux tries to bring eth0 up I am told that the
>initialization process is delayed.  I am assuming that this means it is not
>configured correctly, or it is not supported.

It is supported

Quote:>I have passed some of the tech specs through the lilo prompt in hopes that
>the card would be autodetected... this didnt work. (ether=irq,base
>addr,param1,param2,eth0)

Are you loading the right module?...for Etherexpress 16, you need eexpress.o
(mostly it will work without supplying IO and IRQ adress, if not, only
supply io-adress).

When using an Intel Ethernet Pro 10(+) you need the eepro.o module and you
have to specify IO adress (otherwise the whole system locks up).
(also, if you specity IO-adressen, do this in the following format: "0x300")

If you have Redhat, start "linuxconf"..there you can specify options of any
the cards without trouble.

Greetings

 
 
 

Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Post by James Hartwic » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Thanks for the quick reply Alain,

I changed the module to eexpress (there was no eexpress.o in the list that
linuxconf gave me) and plugged in the I/O address...  I am still having the
same problem when I try to ping the mchines own IP (192.168.0.9).  It says
that the network is unreachable.

I am going to go fiddle around with it some more, but I am at the limit of
what I know how to do... so if you (or anyone for that matter) has any other
ideas please pass them along...

Thanks again :)


Quote:

> Are you loading the right module?...for Etherexpress 16, you need
eexpress.o
> (mostly it will work without supplying IO and IRQ adress, if not, only
> supply io-adress).

> When using an Intel Ethernet Pro 10(+) you need the eepro.o module and you
> have to specify IO adress (otherwise the whole system locks up).
> (also, if you specity IO-adressen, do this in the following format:
"0x300")

> If you have Redhat, start "linuxconf"..there you can specify options of
any
> the cards without trouble.

 
 
 

Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Post by Simo » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00


I'm no expert, but I don't think you should be using an IP address with a
"0" (zero), as I believe this is something to do with broadcasts...

probably totally off the mark, but what the hell!!!

Simon


> Thanks for the quick reply Alain,

> I changed the module to eexpress (there was no eexpress.o in the list that
> linuxconf gave me) and plugged in the I/O address...  I am still having
the
> same problem when I try to ping the mchines own IP (192.168.0.9).  It says
> that the network is unreachable.

> I am going to go fiddle around with it some more, but I am at the limit of
> what I know how to do... so if you (or anyone for that matter) has any
other
> ideas please pass them along...

> Thanks again :)



> > Are you loading the right module?...for Etherexpress 16, you need
> eexpress.o
> > (mostly it will work without supplying IO and IRQ adress, if not, only
> > supply io-adress).

> > When using an Intel Ethernet Pro 10(+) you need the eepro.o module and
you
> > have to specify IO adress (otherwise the whole system locks up).
> > (also, if you specity IO-adressen, do this in the following format:
> "0x300")

> > If you have Redhat, start "linuxconf"..there you can specify options of
> any
> > the cards without trouble.

 
 
 

Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Post by James Hartwic » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Ok, I preface this with the reminder: I am a linux newbie...

So, don't flame me to hard when I tell you that I didn't realize that I have
to load the eexpress.o module manually ;).  I figured this out after reading
random HOWTOs.  Now, here is the problem...

In /usr/src/linux I:
make modules
and then:
make modules_install

Problem is that when I go to /lib/modules/2.2.14 the directory is empty
except for a dummy.o...

Any ideas?


Quote:> I am new to Linux.
> Im attempting to get my network card installed into my Linux box...  I
have
> a Intel EtherExpress16 ISA.  I am not sure if this card is supported (It
is
> an older card).

> On boot up, when linux tries to bring eth0 up I am told that the
> initialization process is delayed.  I am assuming that this means it is
not
> configured correctly, or it is not supported.

> I have passed some of the tech specs through the lilo prompt in hopes that
> the card would be autodetected... this didnt work. (ether=irq,base
> addr,param1,param2,eth0)

> I can ping the localhost (127.0.0.1) but I cannot ping the assigned
> ipaddress successfully (192.168.0.1)... my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> file looks like this (truncated):
> DEVICE=eth0
> IPADDR=192.168.0.9
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=none

> My /etc/sysconfig/network file includes the following:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=eusebeis
> DOMAINNAME=home
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
> GATEWAYDEV=eth0

> Th card itself appears to be working (well, the most I can say is that the
> connection and activity lights seem to be performing as per spec.)

> I have just installed Redhat 6.2.  BUT The OS was installed onto the HD in
> another machine, then I recompiled the kernel and put the HD into the
> machine it is in now:
> 486DX
> 32MB Ram
> 3.2GB HS ( 1.2GB for / filesystem and 2.xGB for /usr filesystem, and 32MB
> for swap)

> The system did detect and run through the network card in the original
> system.  Unfortunately this is a PCI card and there are no PCI slots in
its
> current machine so I can't switch the cards.  I did reboot the machine
with
> no network cards in it at one point (doing this in Windows sometimes
helped
> when you were changing the brand of hardware)  I am not sure if the Kernel
> is still looking for the original network card, how to check, or how to
even
> change this if it is.

> If someone could point me in the right direction, or give me some new
ideas
> to try, I would be very appreciative.  I can also provide any other
> pertinent information that I have left out here.

> Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Network Adapter Problems (Detailed)

Post by Alai » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Quote:>I am going to go fiddle around with it some more, but I am at the limit of
>what I know how to do... so if you (or anyone for that matter) has any
other
>ideas please pass them along...

Look if the software has set the "AUI" port instead of the BNC.
Run the "softset" program of intel if needed (I don't know if the driver
supports it, because then you can do it with ifconfig)

Greetings

 
 
 

1. Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Hi,
        I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.

Setup:
  Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.

  The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.

Software:
  - I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
  - run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)

Symptoms:

  - Kernel recognizes right device
  - No error messages at boot time

  - ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
    including errors counts.
  - same for /proc/net/dev

  - routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)

Yet, I can't run a single network application.

ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".

I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
communications.  

The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
 nor transmitted.

The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:

eth0  Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...

when the net should 100MBps.

Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?

Thanks,

-Nir

2. howto determine souce of hack attempt

3. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

4. Reg Ex

5. Network adapter compatability HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

6. warez site warnings: March 12, 1995

7. ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

8. Memory usage/analysis tools for Solaris 2.6

9. Binding 2 network adapters to achieve better network performance

10. Free SCO network driver for NE/2-32 MCA network adapter

11. Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP

12. Network adapter problems!

13. Weird network adapter problem