long delay waiting on ftp connection

Post by B. Eubank » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have just installed redhat 6.2 on 5 new computers networked with a 5
port ethernet hub.

After installing all of the software and setting up the IP addresses,
etc., all seems fine except that when I attempt to ftp to any machine,
there is a very long delay before I get to the username prompt. I see
the "connected to" message, but then I have to wait for what seems to be
a full 2 minutes or so before I can log in.

Telnet connects without a delay, and pinging does not indicate any
traffic problems. Once I (eventually) get connected to the remote ftp
server, transfers also work at nominal rates.

I am not a networking guru, so I am somewhat puzzled about what might be
going on. Any advice on what I should do to diagnose this problem?

TIA

Post by Karl Heye » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:30:56

> I have just installed redhat 6.2 on 5 new computers networked with a
> 5 port ethernet hub.

> After installing all of the software and setting up the IP
> addresses, etc., all seems fine except that when I attempt to ftp to
> any machine, there is a very long delay before I get to the username
> prompt. I see the "connected to" message, but then I have to wait
> for what seems to be a full 2 minutes or so before I can log in.

> Telnet connects without a delay, and pinging does not indicate any
> traffic problems. Once I (eventually) get connected to the remote
> ftp server, transfers also work at nominal rates.

> I am not a networking guru, so I am somewhat puzzled about what
> might be going on. Any advice on what I should do to diagnose this
> problem?

Probably a DNS lookup on the server looking for the name of the
client when connecting.  Check the name resolution on the server.

karl

long delay waiting on ftp connection

Post by Dual » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 02:30:56 +0000, "Karl Heyes"

>> I have just installed redhat 6.2 on 5 new computers networked with a
>> 5 port ethernet hub.

>> After installing all of the software and setting up the IP
>> addresses, etc., all seems fine except that when I attempt to ftp to
>> any machine, there is a very long delay before I get to the username
>> prompt. I see the "connected to" message, but then I have to wait
>> for what seems to be a full 2 minutes or so before I can log in.

>> Telnet connects without a delay, and pinging does not indicate any
>> traffic problems. Once I (eventually) get connected to the remote
>> ftp server, transfers also work at nominal rates.

>> I am not a networking guru, so I am somewhat puzzled about what
>> might be going on. Any advice on what I should do to diagnose this
>> problem?

>Probably a DNS lookup on the server looking for the name of the
>client when connecting.  Check the name resolution on the server.

I had the same problem for both telnet and ftp.

Putting an entry for my windows (telnet&ftp client) in RH62 hosts file
fixed my telnet problem.
I still have the same ftp problem
Sniffing this ftp session , I only detect some 60byte sized packets
going hence and forth

In another thread someone suggested RH62 ftp-responds  using the IP
address of the other interface (it's my internet firewall too) but
that isn't the case

DualIP

long delay waiting on ftp connection

Post by Frizzle Fr » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Like the other post noted, you should define all five "client" PCs in the
/etc/hosts file on the Redhat box.  You might also look at
/etc/nsswitch.conf for the line "hosts" and make sure that "files" is
listed first.

> I have just installed redhat 6.2 on 5 new computers networked with a 5
> port ethernet hub.

> After installing all of the software and setting up the IP addresses,
> etc., all seems fine except that when I attempt to ftp to any machine,
> there is a very long delay before I get to the username prompt. I see
> the "connected to" message, but then I have to wait for what seems to be
> a full 2 minutes or so before I can log in.

> Telnet connects without a delay, and pinging does not indicate any
> traffic problems. Once I (eventually) get connected to the remote ftp
> server, transfers also work at nominal rates.

> I am not a networking guru, so I am somewhat puzzled about what might be
> going on. Any advice on what I should do to diagnose this problem?

> TIA

1. long delay between connection and telnet prompt

I am experiencing a fixed delay of 80 seconds between the connection
and the login prompt in a telnet session.
I already stopped and restarted inetd and tcpip but unfortunatelly
this  is not helping because inetd is working fine spawning telnetd
immediately.
any help is appreciated.
Gianluca

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. gethostbyaddr?/etc/hosts:domain name server

3. long wait trying to ftp to RH6.2 host

4. Adaptec 2902E SCSI controller and Linux

5. telnet/ftp long waiting period

6. DRAM vs. VRAM

7. Waiting for FTP-Login long time

8. How do I Allocate 450 Mbytes RAM on 512 Mbytes machine?

9. waiting a long time to show the ftp login prompt

10. Long wait to login - telnet and FTP

11. 1.1.62 + IDE-2.01: long delay on reboot before "Calibrating delay loop"

12. Long delays is FTP and TELNET

13. Setup problems - long delays in ftp, netstat -r, etc