DHCP-Client rturns no hostname????

Post by Andreas Richte » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:38:20

I installed a dhcp - server on a linux-machine. It works fine together with
windows-clients. But I have a problem with linux-clients: they don't return
a hostname so in the dhcpd.leases there is only the MAC- adress and the ip
- adress.

I think that is not a big problem but I am newbie ;-)

Any ideas??

Best regads

Andreas Richter

DHCP-Client rturns no hostname????

Post by Pierre Trani » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:23:33

Hi,

Quote:> I installed a dhcp - server on a linux-machine. It works fine together
with
> windows-clients. But I have a problem with linux-clients: they don't
return
> a hostname so in the dhcpd.leases there is only the MAC- adress and the ip
> - adress.

> I think that is not a big problem but I am newbie ;-)

> Any ideas??

> Best regads

> Andreas Richter

Which one dhcpd.leases file are you talking about ? The one in /var/lib/dhcp
(RH 7.0) is the real one including all leases allocated on the network. The
one in /var/state/dhcp is used by linuxconf as a data file. Obviously, it is
not updated according to the granted addresses. In our organization,
/var/state/dhcp/dhcpd.leases is a link to /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases
therefore being updated each time a new address is allocated.

Yours

Pierre

DHCP-Client rturns no hostname????

Post by Andreas Richte » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:53:12

I use the one in /var/lib/dhcp/

The output looks like below, where the first entry is a linux-pc, the two
others are windows-pc's.

As you see, the last line is missing, so I can not identify a linux-pc if
there are more than one in the net :-) That's ugly...

The hostnames are set correctly. I wonder whether the prob is at the server
or the client side???

I have absolutely no idea what to do and where to search...

Regards
Andreas Richter

lease 192.168.0.104 {
        starts 3 2001/06/13 08:20:29;
        ends 4 2001/06/14 08:20:29;
        hardware ethernet xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
        uid 01:00:e0:7d:02:75:e9;

Quote:}

lease 192.168.0.105 {
        starts 3 2001/06/13 13:31:48;
        ends 4 2001/06/14 01:31:48;
        hardware ethernet xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
        uid 01:00:50:56:a3:00:de;
        client-hostname "winplatz2";
Quote:}

lease 192.168.0.106 {
        starts 3 2001/06/13 13:04:04;
        ends 4 2001/06/14 01:04:04;
        hardware ethernet xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
        uid 01:00:50:56:90:00:e2;
        client-hostname "winplatz1";
Quote:}

Post by ch.. » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:49:15

Quote:>I installed a dhcp - server on a linux-machine. It works fine together with
>windows-clients. But I have a problem with linux-clients: they don't return
>a hostname so in the dhcpd.leases there is only the MAC- adress and the ip
>- adress.

>I think that is not a big problem but I am newbie ;-)

No problem - the name that is listed by the windows machines is only their
Windows Networking names, the presence of their names does not make any
difference to the operation of the network it is just for your convenience.

dhcp.leases is not used by any machines on the network - it is just for the
dhcp server to keep track of who has what lease in case you restart the dhcp
daemon.

Julian

1. DHCP Client Hostname Issue

Yeah, that is irritating.  You can do this:

        # patch -b /etc/init.d/network << END_OF_PATCH
        *** network     Wed Apr 18 07:50:24 2001
        --- network     Wed Sep  5 19:19:49 2001
        ***************
        *** 834,840 ****
          # name, default to "unknown"
          #
          if [ -z "$hostname" ]; then
        !       hostname="unknown"
          fi

          /sbin/uname -S $hostname
        --- 834,845 ----
          # name, default to "unknown"
          #
          if [ -z "$hostname" ]; then
        !       hostname="`shcat /etc/nodename 2>/dev/null`"
        !
        !       if [ -z "$hostname" ]
        !       then
        !              hostname="unknown"
        !       fi
          fi

          /sbin/uname -S $hostname
        END_OF_PATCH

Or do it manually if you want.

  - Logan
--
"Our grandkids love that we get Roadrunner and digital cable."
(Advertisement for Time Warner cable TV and internet access, July 2001)

2. Columbia AppleTalk Package (CAP) ported to Solaris 2.3?

3. Hostname doesn't work in DHCP client W98/ME

4. Help! PCMCIA networking and X on RedHat 4.0

5. Enabling client to request hostname using dhcp

6. Linux as HP terminal?

7. DHCP: overriding hostname of clients

8. 2.4.21 pooched?

9. HOSTNAME DON'T WORK IN DHCP CLIENT WIN98

10. DHCP clients and hostname resolving

11. Linksys "DHCP Clients Table" doesn't show hostname

12. DHCP assign "static-IP" based on client hostname

13. solaris DHCP client hostname unknown