Just need to be pointed in the right direction...

Just need to be pointed in the right direction...

Post by Michael Well » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Would someone be kind enough to start me off?

I installed red hat linux, and I am impressed with the screen savers :), now
I would like to connect to the network and internet.  There seems to be no
clear instructions an how to do that.

I've worked with unix for years....I even know vi, so as long as I know
where to start, I can get it.

I have a creative labs sound card, and a 3com etherlink III.

I am in gnome, and so far cannot find iconf on the system.

I went to look on the second cd, and realized I don't even know how to
"look" on the cd, although I installed from one.

Thanks

Just need to be pointed in the right direction...

Post by joe 9 » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

guides and how tos should have come with your distro so browse the doc(s)
directory

> Would someone be kind enough to start me off?

> I installed red hat linux, and I am impressed with the screen savers :), now
> I would like to connect to the network and internet.  There seems to be no
> clear instructions an how to do that.

If you are using a serial connection - you need to set up ppp (ppp how to), if
you are using a cable modem, then a working ethernet config (ethernet how to)
Quote:

> I've worked with unix for years....I even know vi, so as long as I know
> where to start, I can get it.

> I have a creative labs sound card, and a 3com etherlink III.

> I am in gnome, and so far cannot find iconf on the system.

> I went to look on the second cd, and realized I don't even know how to
> "look" on the cd, although I installed from one.

> Thanks

Just need to be pointed in the right direction...

Post by Ken Johnso » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Bookmark this site:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

There is much useful stuff in the HOWTO section which can help you set
up the rest of the system.

K.

> Would someone be kind enough to start me off?

> I installed red hat linux, and I am impressed with the screen savers :), now
> I would like to connect to the network and internet.  There seems to be no
> clear instructions an how to do that.

> I've worked with unix for years....I even know vi, so as long as I know
> where to start, I can get it.

> I have a creative labs sound card, and a 3com etherlink III.

> I am in gnome, and so far cannot find iconf on the system.

> I went to look on the second cd, and realized I don't even know how to
> "look" on the cd, although I installed from one.

> Thanks

 With Servers In California, Texas And *ia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source
Webmasters New RevShare Program  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by GENE » Sun, 21 May 2000 04:00:00

> Would someone be kind enough to start me off?

> I installed red hat linux, and I am impressed with the screen savers :), now
> I would like to connect to the network and internet.  There seems to be no
> clear instructions an how to do that.

> I've worked with unix for years....I even know vi, so as long as I know
> where to start, I can get it.

> I have a creative labs sound card, and a 3com etherlink III.

> I am in gnome, and so far cannot find iconf on the system.

> I went to look on the second cd, and realized I don't even know how to
> "look" on the cd, although I installed from one.

> Thanks

A few tips:

1. Docs - general.  If you did a reasonably full
install, your docs are at /usr/doc.  There is a
separate subdirectory for many important
apps. For specific HOWTO info, see the files in
/usr/doc/HOWTO. Typically, if you havent a clue,
go there, and do a grep for  whatever keywords
you like, and the filenames will provide
obvious clues as to the location of your desired info.

2. Sound. Scan /usr/doc/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO and
Sound-Playing-HOWTO.  Also, look at
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO to see how well
supported your sound card is. Get familiar with
the /etc/sysconfig files.  There should be one
there called hwconf which identifies what the
system thinks your hardware is. There should also
be one there called soundcard, which will
list what the system found for sound.  Mine says:
        CARDTYPE=CHI8330
for example.

3.  Ethernet. Get familiar with control-panel.
There is a Gnome gui for it, and it should be on
your "start" menu somewhere. Log on as root to do
control-panel/configuration work. I use KDE rather
than gnome, so I have forgotten where on the gnome
menu it is, but control-panel is there. If you
can't find it, pop open an xterm (click on
the terminal icon at the bottom of the screen)
and enter
        control-panel
This package just gets better and better with
each RH release. You will find just about
everything you need for first order network
setup by popping the icon with the seven
little terminals networked together. It will
open the Network Configurator
( the Names-Hosts-Interfaces-Routing menu).
Here you do your basic setup, assuming that the
/etc/sysconfig/networks file says the system
thinks you have a network card it recognizes.
To verify that you have some of the necessaries
installed correctly, you might also want to
do a:

dmesg | more

so you can look for such items as the NET4 sockets
and tcpip entries, the eth0 entry, (which should
mention your 3com card), and, when you try to
go on line, PPP or CSLIP. There should also
be a mention of some sort of module, probably

is the actual ethernet card driver written
(originally, at least) by Donald Becker, the
wizard of Ethernet cards. Look for any complaints
buried in these messages.

There are other items related to networking,
for when you get bolder which you can find
by going down to the traffic-cop icon on the
control-panel.  That activates the GNOME-Linuxconf
menu, which opens up a plethora of things you
can fool around with.

I don't know what "iconf" is, but suspect it is
from another unix variant. Maybe this GNOME-Linuxconf
is what you are looking for there.

To look at the CD, you need to mount it. You
need an entry in the /etc/fstab file.  There
probably is one there from your install, but in
case there isn't one, you could put in, using
the GNOME-LinuxConf-File Systems-Access Local Drive
option, something like:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660

You can also go barefoot and just edit /etc/fstab
with vi to put that line in anywhere.  Then,
assuming you have a mount point called /mnt/cdrom
(which you should have already), just say

mount /mnt/cdrom

There is an automounter, and automatic activation
for music cds, and all that, but that is a bit
off your question.

Anyway, just cd to /mnt/cdrom and go for whatever
is on the cdrom.  If I remember, the RH CD either
has docs or the source RPMs on it.

Oh, one more thing. Get familiar with RPM.  It is
the best aid to sanity going. If you want to know
what is on your system, usr rpm. A simple

rpm -i <rpm-file-name>

will install an rpm file onto your system.  Remember,
all this is done as root. rpm looks for dependencies
and saves you from yourself quite often.

Even when you are not root, you can do

rpm -ql <rpm-package>

to find out if a package is installed, and where
the files are located.  Note that rpm-package is
sometimes a quaint name.  There is a database
which rpm maintains of the current installed
package status, but I forget where it is just now

Hope some of these comments help you get rolling.

Gene Montgomery

1. PGP and how to get a copy can somebody point me in the right direction?

: >I would like to get a copy of PGP for my own use when sending eMail and
: >for coding files. I then plan to take over the world can anybody help me
: >with my endeavour?

 http://www.ifi.uio.no/~staalesc/PGP/home.html
  ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/pgp/

  ftp://ftp.mantis.co.uk/pub/cryptography/
  http://www.mantis.co.uk/pgp/pgp.html
--

Noel Davis
Freenet Volunteer

2. add an additional IP address

3. vm86() - can someone point me in the right direction?

4. Configure UUCP over TCP between NCR & SCO Unix???

5. returning strings, I nee 'Pointing' in the right direction.

6. re pp script

7. Help point me in the right direction

8. authentication on a pop-server

9. Point a Newbie in the right direction DSP, Onboard Controller PC Modem

10. returning strings, I nee 'Pointing' in the right direction.

11. Max RAM w/ 1.2.8 *Someone please help or point in the right direction*

12. Please 'Point' me in the right direction

13. Point Me in the Right Direction