Forwarding an e-mail with same domain name to another network

Forwarding an e-mail with same domain name to another network

Post by Jose Antonio C. Baduria,Jr » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

    We had 2 networks separated by a dialup connection. One network use
a public network
address, Subnet: 192.168.123.0, while the other uses an internet
address. We have
the same domain name. What we want is when we send an e-mail to someone
that is not
in one network but has the same domain name be forwarded to the other
network.

    For example:

Domain name: mydomain.com
Network 1 (Subnet:192.168.123.0) members: usera, userb and userc
Network 2 (Subnet:202.48.259.0) members: userx, usery, and userz

I want to be able to do the following things:

userc will receive it.

userz will receive it.

network 1, usera and userb should be abe receive it.

network 2, userx and usery should be abe receive it.
   5. If any user in network 1 or 2 send and e-mail to

receive it.

    Does anyone know how to make the above scenario work? From what I
know, if I send an e-mail to
a user with an e-mail which has the same domain name as my network and
that user does not exist
in the network, it will return an undeliverable e-mail. What I want is
to be able to forward it to the other
network which has the same domain name where the user might exist.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forwarding an e-mail with same domain name to another network

Post by Jeff Turne » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You could probably do it by having two mail hosts,one in each network, then
setup accounts for all users on both but use .forward files to transfer mail
to the REAL location of the user. What I dont understand is how mail coming
in to the domain from outside finds you. If you had two mail servers all
incoming mail could go to to the internet connected server which would
deliver it locally, the forward files could then send it on to the second
server.

If the link between them is permanent you could all just pop your mail from
the server thats internet connected.

Hope this helped

Jeff Turner

Quote:

>    We had 2 networks separated by a dialup connection. One network use
>a public network
>address, Subnet: 192.168.123.0, while the other uses an internet
>address. We have
>the same domain name. What we want is when we send an e-mail to someone
>that is not
>in one network but has the same domain name be forwarded to the other
>network.

snip

Forwarding an e-mail with same domain name to another network

Post by Jose Antonio Baduria J » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

    Thanks for replying. I already had thought of that but it would mean keeping
up with
the users of each network. With the current high rate of movement of people, it
would
be taxing. Currently we have 2 Windows NT server. Our main network has an NT
server
connected directly to the internet and the separate network connects to another
Windows NT
server in that network. What they did was to forward all e-mails bound for us
(just like what you had
suggested) but using our IP address not the domain name, i.e. e-mail for

server
which also acts as our e-mail server. On this side, there is no forwarding of
e-mails. DNS is

get sent to
the other network. It is brute solution but it works.
    What I am thinking is this. In Linux, I won't setup domain name. If I send
an e-mail with
no domain name, i.e. user, it should send the e-mail directly to the Linux
mailbox if the

should
send the e-mail to the other network's mail server. This should work if my
understanding
of DNS and Sendmail serves me right. Do you think this will work?

Thanks

PS. I still have not successfuly connected my Linux Server with the Windows NT
server
using pppd with MSCHAP. Do you have any experience in this?