Offline news reader

Post by Manolo Samped » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi guys,

        I'm looking for a news reader with offline capabilities (i've got a
slip connection with a provider) , and if possible for X. Till now
i've been using Free Agent for *Winblows* (amazing news reader!!!) but
it's very annoying to have to reboot the computer only to read news
(i'm developing X-apps all the time). Any suggestions will be
appreciated. Saludos

                        Manolo
// I'm not in a bad mood, i'm only young
// Sorry for my low english level. I promise to make it better next time.
// Computers, sports, and of course: WILD PARTIES!!!
// Manolo Sampedro.  Industrial engineer from Madrid (Spain)

Offline news reader

Post by Theofilu Andre » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>        I'm looking for a news reader with offline capabilities (i've got a
>slip connection with a provider) , and if possible for X. Till now
>i've been using Free Agent for *Winblows* (amazing news reader!!!) but
>it's very annoying to have to reboot the computer only to read news
>(i'm developing X-apps all the time). Any suggestions will be
>appreciated. Saludos

First try to install inn 1.4sec. This makes your Linux machine a NNTP-
server. Then you could get the new Suck1.4. With that you can load news
down from your ISP and post news to your ISP. You have also the capability
to choose the newsgroups you want to read.
Get inn from:

    ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/linux/ports/inn-1.4-linux.tar.gz

Get Suck from:

    sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Mail/news/suck-2.3B.tar.gz
    tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/sbin/suck-2.3B.tar.gz

To read your news, you can use several programs:

    tin, trn, nn, knews, xfnews, ...

This is a mixture of text and graphical oriented programs. Try each
of them and find out yourself what is the best for you (I used tin
first and changed now to knews). Ask archie where to get this
programs.

Hope that helps.
--
Theofilu Andreas