gateway sends an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast(?!)

Post by Timo Kabs » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I saw this message as well. Shutting down nmbd will make it go away, but
>that isn't really a solution for me. The nice way would be to have them
>logged somewhere but I haven't been able to do that. Hope this helps.

>Dusan

>> I have set up Mandrake 6.0 on a computer on a LAN.  After booting up I
>> get the message:

>> XXX.XXX.XXX.33 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

>> The XXX.XXX.XXX.33 is the address of my gateway.  I have no idea what
>> this message means but it's really annoying.  There don't seem to be any
>> problems.  I can access IP addresses both on my subnet and on the
>> internet.  I set up SuSE, BSD, and BeOS on partitions on the same
>> machine with the same networking info but haven't ever gotten this
>> message before. How do I stop this irritating message from constantly
>> (every minute or so) being sent?

>> TIA
>> Mike

Hi Folks,

I have the same problem. I also need help to solve the problem,
because my ISDN system dials automatically when the error occurs (a
kind of expensive...).

When scanning the device IPPP0 with tcpdump, the error doesn't occur,
but this also is no proper solution.

Does anybody have a solution?

Thx.

Timo

1. gateway sends an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast(?!)

I have set up Mandrake 6.0 on a computer on a LAN.  After booting up I
get the message:

                XXX.XXX.XXX.33 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

The XXX.XXX.XXX.33 is the address of my gateway.  I have no idea what
this message means but it's really annoying.  There don't seem to be any
problems.  I can access IP addresses both on my subnet and on the
internet.  I set up SuSE, BSD, and BeOS on partitions on the same
machine with the same networking info but haven't ever gotten this
message before. How do I stop this irritating message from constantly
(every minute or so) being sent?

TIA
Mike

2. Help needed Masarading and firewall

3. blah sent up an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

4. Our hats go off to you.

5. <gatewayIP> sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast

6. Autologin as root

7. 191.1.1.5 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast

8. Help: LILO, EIDE overlay driver...

9. make icmp.c be more verbose on broadcast icmp errors

10. 2.5.70 invalid icmp broadcast.

11. <Gateway> sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast?!? Help!

12. Linux 2.0.32 gateway not sending ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE

13. Invalid ICMP Error???