machines of a domain on different networks?

machines of a domain on different networks?

Post by Ron Forreste » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My buddy and I currently co-own a domain name, which is currently hosted
as a virtual domain at our ISP.

However, in two weeks, we will both be getting ADSL service at our
residences. His machine will have our root domain attached to it. I
would like my machine to be a machine off the root domain. So, assuming
our domain name is 'mydomain.com', his machine will have its IP bound to
that name.

I would like my machine to be bound to say 'aurora.mydomain.com'.

The particular's are -- we will be using different ISP's once ADLS is
installed. My ISP gives me a static IP.

It seems to me that he would just need to setup his DNS server to
resolve requests for 'aurora.mydomain.com' to my static ip. Is the
correct?

If not, any pointers to howto's, etc would be appreciated.
tia
rjf&

machines of a domain on different networks?

Post by Duncan Simps » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>My buddy and I currently co-own a domain name, which is currently hosted
>as a virtual domain at our ISP.
>However, in two weeks, we will both be getting ADSL service at our
>residences. His machine will have our root domain attached to it. I
>would like my machine to be a machine off the root domain. So, assuming
>our domain name is 'mydomain.com', his machine will have its IP bound to
>that name.
>I would like my machine to be bound to say 'aurora.mydomain.com'.
>The particular's are -- we will be using different ISP's once ADLS is
>installed. My ISP gives me a static IP.
>It seems to me that he would just need to setup his DNS server to
>resolve requests for 'aurora.mydomain.com' to my static ip. Is the
>correct?

Yup, this works fine (provided he writes accurate DNS
information). You can even do CNAMEs and MX records to machines in
different domains without trouble... lots of virtual web servers and
mail servers are set up using this technology.

Getting reverse DNS information from your respective ISPs will be a lot
more interesting. You have been warned.

Duncan (-:

1. one firewall routing different domains to different internal web servers

i'm simply trying to see how this can be done, if it can be done.

i have a linux firewall running ipchains & ipmasq.  i have my own name
server which handles a couple of personal domains.  i have two web servers
running on my internal lan (private addresses) for which the firewall
forwards all requests.  what i'd like to try to do is figure out a way to
have requests to www.foo.com go to one of the web servers, while requests
to www.foo2.com go to the other web server.  right now i have to have
people type a port number after the domain name to accomplish this.  i
thought that maybe adding ipmasq rules like this would take care of it:

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L www.foo.com 80 -R 192.168.0.25 80
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L www.foo2.com 80 -R 192.168.0.26 80

of course, the problem is that both www.foo.com & www.foo2.com resolve to
the same external ip address, so it doesn't seem to work.

how can i do this? (short of getting another public ip address)

thx thx thx!!!!!

2. How to safely truncate wtmp?

3. Resolving different domain names to different pages?

4. compatmac is not needed

5. NFS /home directory : Different machines need different desktops

6. Problem with dpkg on Debian 2.1

7. /etc/passwd - different on different machines?

8. 1)LILO: Boot Windows as default 2) 4D wheelmouse 3) monitor standby

9. NIS: Different userids on different machines?

10. NIS using a different domain than the default domain

11. Same command, same os, different machines, different results

12. /etc/passwd - different on different machines?

13. Script for pinging different machines in the network