Help: ppp and local network

Post by Kuo-Huei L » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello folks,

I have setup a local network at home, and one of the machines I also like to
use ppp to my ISP. The problem I had is that I can not telnet/ftp/netscape
out to the internet even though the "ifcofig" shows me the "ppp0" link is
all right. I don't know where went wrong. Would some body please show me

Thanks for your help.

--
Best Regards,

Anthony (Lee, Kou-Huei)

Help: ppp and local network

Post by roo » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: I have setup a local network at home, and one of the machines I also like to
: use ppp to my ISP. The problem I had is that I can not telnet/ftp/netscape
: out to the internet even though the "ifcofig" shows me the "ppp0" link is
: all right. I don't know where went wrong. Would some body please show me

Take a look at http://sunsite.unc.edu/linux and look for information on
"masq".  It will explain what you need to do, to get your LAN to talk to the
world.

ttyl,

Ken

Help: ppp and local network

Post by John Wiggi » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Also, the thing here is that your default route is set for eth0
and not ppp0.  Try typing "route" and see what the default route is set
to.

--
    Gunther Dragon --=(UDIC)=-- John Wiggins

Help: ppp and local network

Post by Robert A. Vincent I » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hello folks,

> I have setup a local network at home, and one of the machines I also like to
> use ppp to my ISP. The problem I had is that I can not telnet/ftp/netscape
> out to the internet even though the "ifcofig" shows me the "ppp0" link is
> all right. I don't know where went wrong. Would some body please show me

> Thanks for your help.

> --
> Best Regards,

> Anthony (Lee, Kou-Huei)

use "defaultroute" option in your pppd script.  Make sure a default route
doesn't exist before pppd starts, though.  My setup (stolen from the
PPP-howto, if I remember correctly) includes:

#!/bin/sh
DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
/sbin/route del default
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 38400 connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

And /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer reads:

#!/bin/sh
chat -f /etc/ppp/login.chat

I won't disclose the contents of login.chat :-)

Good luck!

Help: ppp and local network

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I have setup a local network at home, and one of the machines I also like to
>use ppp to my ISP. The problem I had is that I can not telnet/ftp/netscape
>out to the internet even though the "ifcofig" shows me the "ppp0" link is
>all right.

Have you got a subnet account with your ISP or are you using
IP-Masqerading?

1. DNS over PPP with local network

When I connect with the RH ppp dialer, the modems train, pppd seems to
startup OK, and the RH network monitor shows ppp connected, but I still
can't ping outside my local network.

My /etc/resolv.conf contains my nameserver ip address, but when I try to
ping, say, my nameserver, 207.217.126.81, ping says the host is unreachable.

I noticed that ping says it is pinging from 192.168.1.100 (my eth0 ip
address), not from my ppp dynamically assigned ip address-- is this correct?
I guess I don't understand how the network knows when to use which ip
address.

2. Retrieving mail with POP3 client

3. Local network with one ppp link ?

4. __func__ -> __FUNCTION__

5. Local PPP network connected to Internet???

6. up arrow crashes machine

7. Local network telnet sessin hangs when connected through ppp to internet

8. caddr_t: What is it?

9. Routing between PPP and local network

10. local networking and ppp

11. PPP -->internet and LOCAL tcp/ip network

12. local network connect internet with ppp !!

13. ppp & local network routing