Temporary internet access

Post by s » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 07:34:21

A friend asked me a general question, which I am not sure how to implement.

How to implement a network system, where a user will be given a password to
login, which will then allow it to access internet for one session only ?
(For another session, another password will be given.)

Another scenario is: a user can bring its laptap, plugs in into a network
port and login for a single session.

Thanks.

Temporary internet access

Post by jack » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 16:48:17

> A friend asked me a general question, which I am not sure how to implement.

> How to implement a network system, where a user will be given a password to
> login, which will then allow it to access internet for one session only ?
> (For another session, another password will be given.)

> Another scenario is: a user can bring its laptap, plugs in into a network
> port and login for a single session.

That's a fairly broad question. How is a 'session' defined? By time, by
visiting one page, one website? Is it restricted to port 80/443 TCP, or
does it imply any type of connection to anything the internet? What does
the rest of the network look like (i.e. do 'normal' users expect
unrestricted internet access, what routers/firewalls are in place?

The canonical answer is: install a router/firewall that makes sure
nothing on the network has internet access, and install a squid proxy
(either in transparent proxy mode, or put a small web server on the
network that server a proxy-autoconfiguration file that points new
clients to the proxy). Configure the squid to use some authentication
scheme that you control with your definition of 'session'. That could be
implemented as a simple username/password file with a couple of php or
perl scripts to manage it, an LDAP server, or some PAM modules.

I would Google for 'Internet Cafe setup', there are lots of ways to do this.

-j

Temporary internet access

Post by Robso » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:49:16

Quote:> A friend asked me a general question, which I am not sure how to implement.

> How to implement a network system, where a user will be given a password to
> login, which will then allow it to access internet for one session only ?
> (For another session, another password will be given.)

> Another scenario is: a user can bring its laptap, plugs in into a network
> port and login for a single session.

> Thanks.

Try HP ProCurve Guest Management Tool
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/products/wireless/HP_ProCurve_Guest_Managem...

Temporary internet access

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:16:11

> How to implement a network system, where a user will be given a password to
> login, which will then allow it to access internet for one session only ?
> (For another session, another password will be given.)
> Another scenario is: a user can bring its laptap, plugs in into a network
> port and login for a single session.

Take a look at nocat and see if that could help you
Chris

Top

1. To use temporary files or not to use temporary files?

This is a repost with Subject line changed:

It is very sad to see that Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike uses temporary
files in the example. I think the temporary can be easily and better
avoided in this case. The modified version is provided at the end. If you
believe the modified version is not better, I would like to hear it.
I make a lot of effort not to use temporary files in my shell scripts,
I do not know if I am alone in this.

And I do not see the value of saving the the original file in the
script:

cp $file $old    # save original file

In "The UNIX Programming Environment", Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike provide

#!/bin/ksh
# overwrite:  copy standard input to output after EOF
# modified version

opath=$PATH
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin

case $# in
0|1)    echo 'Usage: overwrite file cmd [args]' 1>&2; exit 2
esac

file=$1; shift

then
        trap '' 1 2 15   # we are committed; ignore signals
        print -r -- "$new" >  $file
else
        echo "overwrite: $1 failed, $file unchanged" 1>&2
        exit 1
fi

2. block allocators and LVMs

3. IE's Temporary Internet Files: rescue or converting to Linux?

4. Linux and multiple dialers

5. temporary private net access, please help

6. ARP does not respond

7. Need temporary access to Sol X86

8. StarOffice and Excell document conversion question.

9. Provide internet access with SCO OpenSErver On Internet

10. Linux dialin, assigning dynamic IP, allowing internet access

11. HowTO: FreeBSD 2.2.1 Gatway to Cable Modem Internet Access ?

12. LAN with 2 internet access points ?

13. Internet access