SMBD dials every 5 minutes

Post by John H Terpstr » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> On Linux RedHat my smbd looks every 5 minutes for the
> name servermp.mydomain... . Of course my nameserver and the ones of
> my provider dont know this name, so smbd keeps trying to get
> this name every 5 minutes.
> I can't find this name anywhere in my files.
> Where does this name come from ?

> TIA
> --
> Stephan Schrade

> Esslingen, Germany

  Edit your /etc/smb.conf file so that in the [globals] section you have
"dns proxy = no"

If you have samba-1.9.18p4 or later (current is 1.9.18p8) then it will
help if you also have in you /etc/smb.conf [globals]
"name resolve order = wins bcast lmhosts" - assuming your samba server
also has "wins support = yes" AND your MS Windows clients TCP/IP stack
has been configured to use your samba server IP address for BOTH the
primary and secondary WINS servers settings.

Cheers,
John H Terpstra - Samba-Team

1. Diald dials out every 15 minutes

Im pleased to say i've got IP masquerading and diald working this
weekend,  one problem though is that diald spontaneously dials out.  I've
looked through the man pages and checked theres no cron job causing it
but can't figure out whats making it happen,  I have two Win98 PC's
connected to the network,  neither of them were running any network app
or anything. As a test I left the server and one PC switched on for a
couple of hours and didnt touch anything,  but logs still showed it
connecting every fifteen minutes.

Any tips as to what this could be?

Cheers
--
Marco

2. boot from floppy

3. QUERY: diald dials every 15 minutes

4. NCR 53c810 + HDD CSSCSI IBM

5. Automatic Dial on Demand every 15 minutes

6. Linux Debian Woody

7. smbd or smbd -D

8. ls pattern with xargs

9. There's a sucker born every minute (sound hardware)...

10. Every minute there is a message line in /var/adm/messages file, please help

11. telnet server send packet every 15 minutes

12. Constant disk writing every minutes for idle machine -- bothered me since 2.6

13. PPP connection dropping every 20 minutes