RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

Post by Blaine Mince » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:13:30

Hi.

I recently installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 and installed a Linksys LNE100TX
Network card.  I am having an incredibly difficult time getting my system to
recognize the card.  My system does not recognize the new hardware as it is
booting and I have been unsuccessful in following the directions that have
been provided on several web sites.

I downloaded the most recent netdrivers tar file from the site suggested by
linuxnewbies.org .  On depmod, I get " depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/tulip.o " .  On modprobe tulip.o I get " can't
find module tulip.o ".

When I run make after untarring the netdrivers file, I get many errors but
it still generates object files for all of the c files.  I also modified the
Makefile to use kgcc instead of gcc.  Still got the same result.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would be able to offer any help.
Please, please help.  ( I am on my knees begging!!!! ).

Thanks so much.

Blaine Mincey

RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

Post by Gabs » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:04:07

Hi
I'm using Linksys LNE 100TX on Redhat 7.0 with no problems. Make sure the
tar file is not corrupted. Do a tar -xzvf. Then run make. Install the 2
modules with  insmod pci-scan.o and tulip.o Copy them to
/lib/modules/"your-kernel-no"/net.  Run depmod -a. Add the following entry:
alias eth0 tulip on your /etc/modules.conf then ifup eth0. Good luck

Post by Gabs » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:26:03

> Hi
> I'm using Linksys LNE 100TX on Redhat 7.0 with no problems. Make sure the
> tar file is not corrupted. Do a tar -xzvf. Then run make. Install the 2
> modules with  insmod pci-scan.o and tulip.o Copy them to
> /lib/modules/"your-kernel-no"/net.  Run depmod -a. Add the following
entry:
> alias eth0 tulip on your /etc/modules.conf then ifup eth0. Good luck

> > Hi.

> > I recently installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 and installed a Linksys LNE100TX
> > Network card.  I am having an incredibly difficult time getting my
system
> > recognize the card.  My system does not recognize the new hardware as it
> is
> > booting and I have been unsuccessful in following the directions that
have
> > been provided on several web sites.

> > I downloaded the most recent netdrivers tar file from the site suggested
> by
> > linuxnewbies.org .  On depmod, I get " depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/tulip.o " .  On modprobe tulip.o I get "
can't
> > find module tulip.o ".

> > When I run make after untarring the netdrivers file, I get many errors
but
> > it still generates object files for all of the c files.  I also modified
> the
> > Makefile to use kgcc instead of gcc.  Still got the same result.

> > I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would be able to offer any help.
> > Please, please help.  ( I am on my knees begging!!!! ).

> > Thanks so much.

> > Blaine Mincey

RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

Post by Jake » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:12:21

I'm using the same card, but I can't even get it to create the modules.
whare would it create them? and what is kgcc, if I try to change the gcc
to kgcc i get a bash error saying that there is no such command? I'm new
to linux, but this is driving me crazy!

-Jake S.

RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

Post by Choon Hooi N » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:46:56

sorry, dont quite understand what u r trying to do. r u trying to get ur nic
to work under rh70, or u r trying to build the module for ur nic? pls
elaborate further.

> I'm using the same card, but I can't even get it to create the modules.
> whare would it create them? and what is kgcc, if I try to change the gcc
> to kgcc i get a bash error saying that there is no such command? I'm new
> to linux, but this is driving me crazy!

> -Jake S.

RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

Post by Russell de Grov » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:33:34

I had similar problems a couple of weeks ago.

If you did the standard install, kgcc was not installed. There's an RPM on
the first CDROM (you can use GnoRPM, which is on the desktop under
[footprint]->Programs->System and press Install to see what's available.

You will also need to replace the /usr/include/linux folder with the correct
source.

Source should be at

/usr/src/linux-2.2.16

but you may have to get that off the CDROM as well.

Then you can do something like

mv /usr/include/linux /usr/include/linux_dubious
cp -R /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux /usr/include/linux
cp /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc_dubious
cp /usr/bin/kgcc /usr/bin/gcc

and you should be able to compile the card drivers.
By the way, this isn't really a Linux problem. It's a RedHat problem. They
shipped with an "experimental" gcc and with headers from the 2.3.99 kernel
in an effort to be "forwards-compatible" with the 2.4 kernel series.

Russell de Grove

> I'm using the same card, but I can't even get it to create the modules.
> whare would it create them? and what is kgcc, if I try to change the gcc
> to kgcc i get a bash error saying that there is no such command? I'm new
> to linux, but this is driving me crazy!

> -Jake S.

RH7.0 and Network Card - Help a newbie please

Post by Jake » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:13:54

I'm trying to get my nic to work, but I was under the impression (from
the linksys instructions) that I would have to buld a module.

1. Newbie networking on RH7.0, need detailed help

Hi, I have a LAN in my home, with laptop, win,and Linux as clients
sharing a DSL conection. All laptop and windows works fine, but on one
system with Linux, I don't know what to do.

The server used Sygate software, and all the win clients used Sygate as
well, so I have no problem for win.

The gateway is 192.168.0.1, dns is 192.168.0.1, IP for Linux box is
192.168.0.4, network mask is 255.255.255.0.

I am really new in Linux networking, so I don't know where to set it up. I
know that there is a program called network-configurator in RH control-
panel, but I tried to enter the values but failed to activate the interface.
Is that because I entered stuff in wrong place, cause on some field which I
dont understand I just guess. With the above infomations, can anyone tell me
how to set it up in step by step? or prehaps point me to somewhere else??

I am using a netgear FA311, is that suppoted in Linux?

2. What is noccp (ISDN)?

3. need newbie-flavoured help with RH7.1 / Win98 network

4. Data Structure Libraries

5. Unlisted Video Card in RH7... please help...

6. Allowing access based on computer name???

7. Can someone please help me?-RH7.3-Cisco PCM352 PCMCIA card

8. network to network config

9. Problems with Netgear Card on RH7 - Please Help

10. Can someone please help me?-RH7.3-Cisco PCM352 PCMCIA card

11. Help setting up network card on laptop with RH7.2

12. Please, please, please help a newbie.

13. Network newbie - please help