*hosts.lpd & hosts.equiv

Post by Graham Philip Cro » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to get lpd to print to a printer on another linux server.

I found in the man pages that I had to put the clients name into hosts.lpd on
the server. I did this and I still get a message saying that my host does
not have access to the printer. I also tried using an IP address but this didn't
work.

I am running RedHat4.2 (kernel2.0.30) and my hosts.lpd looks like this

192.168.134.2
192.168.133.10

These are the IP addresses of the two machines that I want to have access to
the printers.

I have looked through the source code of the lpd programme and found that these
files are parsed by the '__ivaliduser' or '_validuser' functioons. Does anyone
know what format this file is supposed to be in and if my file should work,
what else should I look for. I have found nothing to this effect in any man
or faq that I have found so far.

thank you
Graham Crowe
--

*hosts.lpd & hosts.equiv

Post by Jose Maria Gallego San » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone

Quote:> know what format this file is supposed to be in and if my file should work,

The only thing I can say is that our printers server hosts.lpd file
entries are simple local names, that is, without the domain part.
--
Jose M. Gallego
Madrid - SPAIN