Q: IP Masquerading not working, what to look?

Q: IP Masquerading not working, what to look?

Post by Sharon Wan » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have two computers connected each other, one runs Linux
2.0.34 (from Slackware 3.5) and another runs Windows 95.

Now I want to have IP masquerading set up on Linux machine.
I uncommented two lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, e.g.
    /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
and rebooted the machine.  Then I tested TELNET and FTP
on the other PC (whose networking has already been configured).
None of them worked.

I couldn't get any further instructions
from the HOWTO, now what should I look for?

Q: IP Masquerading not working, what to look?

Post by Dieter Demerr » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Now I want to have IP masquerading set up on Linux machine.
> I uncommented two lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, e.g.
>     /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
> and rebooted the machine.  Then I tested TELNET and FTP
> on the other PC (whose networking has already been configured).
> None of them worked.

So did you run ipfwadm ? otherwise it's quite possible your masquerading
firewall isn't configured to let your other machine come through.  Then
you say the other PC is already configured.  You'd better state how it's
configured, since it could be that you configured it to connect to the
outer-world, while it really should be configured for an inner-world and
going out to the outer-world through your masquerading server.

--
**** Groetjes vanwege ****** Greetings From ****

http://ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~dede/

Q: IP Masquerading not working, what to look?

Post by Kevin Whit » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have a similar setup working.  After you boot the machine, you have to run
ipfwadm, with appropriate options for your network, to get the actual
masquerading to work.

I have some sample configuration files on my web site, if you want to look
there.

Hope it helps,

Kevin

www.kevinsworld.com

>I have two computers connected each other, one runs Linux
>2.0.34 (from Slackware 3.5) and another runs Windows 95.

>Now I want to have IP masquerading set up on Linux machine.
>I uncommented two lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, e.g.
>    /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
>and rebooted the machine.  Then I tested TELNET and FTP
>on the other PC (whose networking has already been configured).
>None of them worked.

>I couldn't get any further instructions
>from the HOWTO, now what should I look for?

1. IP Masquerading works, but does not masquerade from within the local network

I've got a box running Redhat 6.1 working as a gateway for our home network.
It's connected to a cable modem, and we've only got one IP address, so it's
doing IP forwarding and masquerading for us.

Now, consider this situation: I've got a webcam running on one of my windows
boxes, whose IP address is 192.168.0.1 (for instance). The webcam is on port
8888, and I've got the linux box set up to forward this port along from
port, say, 9999, using a line much like

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9999 -R 192.168.0.1 8888

in my rc.local.

This works very well for people connecting in from outside - they'd use a
URL like:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999/video/frame

but if I try and use that URL from inside the local network, it doesn't
connect, I'd have to use:

http://192.168.0.1:8888/video/frame

which is rather annoying as it makes it difficult to test things (I have to
VNC out to work and boot up a browser there)

I'm fairly sure the problem isn't with the webcam software - I've had the
same problem when trying to connected to an apache server inside the network
as well.

any ideas?

cheers,

Tim

2. Higher Resolution Needed?

3. IP MASQuerading NOT Masquerading?

4. Logitech MouseMan.

5. How about using the dual cpu(pentum pro) with linux OS????

6. IP masquerade -- does not work --help

7. man -k crashes-what is windex ?

8. IP Masquerading not working

9. telnet not work with ip masquerading

10. IP masquerading not working, but DNS names resolve

11. @home cable not working with IP masquerading

12. DX _6_ Zone game through Linux IP Masquerade and IPFWADM not working