HELP!!! EASY QUESTION -- PRINTING ON A NETWORK

HELP!!! EASY QUESTION -- PRINTING ON A NETWORK

Post by Sajit Sas » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi! all!

I know this is an easy question to most of you out there, but beats the hell outta me :-)

All computers at my office are on a LAN and on this LAN is a Linux box that is connected to the
Internet. All users use winsock applications to read e-mail, news, etc. I'm probably the only
one who logs in to his account. The problem is this:

We have an HP connected on the LAN, it has it's own ethernet card and is accessible through any
of the applications we have on our Novell server. Since I use my Linux account very often, I
was wondering if there was a way I could print out to the HP using 'lpr' instead of having to
download it to  my hard drive and print it through Wordperfect.

I tried messing around with the printcap file but to no avail.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sajit
--

HELP!!! EASY QUESTION -- PRINTING ON A NETWORK

Post by Karl Rung » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I tried messing around with the printcap file but to no avail.

What did you try? From the stock /etc/printcap

# typical remote printer entry
#ucbvax|vax|vx|ucbvax line printer:\
#       :lp=:rm=ucbvax:sd=/usr/spool/vaxlpd:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:

you should use rm=hp_hostname, and change "ucbvax|..." to "hp" or
whatever. (replace hp_hostname with the hp's hostname)

On the HP they will have to edit

/etc/hosts.lpd  (or the equivalent)

and put the linux hostname in there.

I do this between two PC's running Linux here at home and it works
fine. Mine LAN, as I think yours is, is pure tcp/ip...

-                                                  http://www.crl.com/~runge
Cleanliness is next to emptiness.                  (510)-516-7127

Post by Alan Grei » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

==========Sajit Sasi, 22/05/95==========
[...]

=======================================

I had a similar situation with a networked HP printer. The solution I have is
not very elegant but worked for me.
The networked printer is accessed through a LAN Manager server. I got Samba
which gives LAN Manager support for UNIX type boxes.
This includes a smbclient program which allows you to connect to LAN Manager
servers.

My printcap entry calls an input filter script which just copies the standard
input of the filter to a file. The script then executes the
smbclient program and pipes in some commands which cause the file to be sent
to the printer server. The printcap can be altered further to
pre-process the output with perhaps ghostscript.

If there's a more elegant solution to this I'd like to know.

My printcap looks as follows;

text|lp:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/text/errs:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/text:\
        :if=/usr/spool/lpd/text/textprint:
pscript:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/pscript/errs:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/pscript:\
        :if=/usr/spool/lpd/pscript/psprint:

The input filter script for text printing is as follows;
        #!/bin/sh
        cat > print.out
        /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient '\\ddvictor.serve\netpr8' -P -N < txtprint

And the commands piped into the smclient program are;
        printmode text
        print print.out

HELP!!! EASY QUESTION -- PRINTING ON A NETWORK

Post by Josh Renzem » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I have a similar problem - We have a network here that uses TCP/IP and NetBEUI.
We have Windows NT set up for TCP/IP Printing, but I don't know how to specify
to print to the NT server.  Any ideas?

Josh

Post by Kelly Volans » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I have a similar problem - We have a network here that uses TCP/IP and NetBEUI.
>We have Windows NT set up for TCP/IP Printing, but I don't know how to specify
>to print to the NT server.  Any ideas?

>>We have an HP connected on the LAN, it has it's own ethernet card and is accessible through any
>>of the applications we have on our Novell server. Since I use my Linux account very often, I
>>was wondering if there was a way I could print out to the HP using 'lpr' instead of having to
>>download it to  my hard drive and print it through Wordperfect.

OK..this will pretty much work for "everything" (NT/Netware?etc)

Get a PC up with a winsock TCPIP stack (obviously you got it made with NT,
with Netware any client will do).  Then you just run WSLPD11(.zip) on the
machine and you can then just spec out a remote printer in your princap
and print away.  Just note that any print jobs will just go the default
printer.  It really works great...

K-

Post by Mr. Edmund Lam Yue M » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

[...]

Try to use the DOS Emulation program inside Linux to login to novell.

HELP!!! EASY QUESTION -- PRINTING ON A NETWORK

Post by Mika Jala » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>We have an HP connected on the LAN, it has it's own ethernet card and is
>accessible through any
>of the applications we have on our Novell server. Since I use my Linux account
>very often, I
>was wondering if there was a way I could print out to the HP using 'lpr'
>instead of having to
>download it to  my hard drive and print it through Wordperfect.

Yes, we do it all the time. The LaserJet (we have a 4M+) acts as an
lpd. I just have a remote printer in the printcap like this:

kaivo|ps|lj4m+:lp=:rm=kaivo.hut.fi:sd=/usr/spool/kaivo\
:lf=/usr/spool/kaivo/errors:sh

and any output to the printer "kaivo" goes to the LaserJet. You have
to give the printer an IP address and enable TCP/IP networking. At
least on the 4M+ you can do this either through the keypad, through
bootp or even through telnet (it has a default IP address for which
you need to give a static route during setup).

The printer (or ethernet interface) manual should give the details.

        Mika

1. Network Printing Question: This should be easy!

I've got a print server, printserv, that works great with 35 Lexmark
laser printers on the network - I can print to anyone of them without
any problems. In fact, I can even print beatifully from my NT clients
through Samba.

I've got an application server, svhsapp1, that I'd like to have print
through printserv. So, I set up (actually printtool set up) a
/etc/printcap entry on svhsapp1 like this:

lp|lablaser:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:\
    :rm=printserv:\
    :rp=lp:

This initially had an if= line as well, but as it wasn't working and
isn't neccessary on remote jobs anyway, I removed it.

When I try to print from svhsapp1, it enters the queue at printserv.
The files are visible in /var/spool/lpd/lp on printserv. lpq on both
machines shows the job queued, but there is "no daemon present". I can
still print directly from printserv at this point - it prints as though
nothing is wrong.

A check of /var/log/messages on printserv reveals the following:

Nov 16 10:34:09 printserv lpd[9816]: Can't create temp cfp file
Nov 16 10:34:09 printserv last message repeated 1012 times
Nov 16 10:34:09 printserv lpd[9816]: lp: can't scan /var/spool/lpd/lp

So, I'm not at all sure what these messages mean, nor can I find any
useful info, but I bet there is a guru here who's been through it
before. Your help would be appreciated!

Chris Hobbs
Silver Valley Unified School District

2. OS/2 BootMgr, LILO, and Linux installation HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Help !! Easy Question-printing postscript

4. Boot disk

5. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

6. Using Linux box with external X terminal

7. easy easy easy one

8. vesafb

9. awk, easy print question

10. Easy question , Easy answer ?

11. easy easy question

12. Help: Easy printing prob

13. Help NetWork Printing to a Printer with a NetWork Card