eth0 loads fine, but eth1 doesn't

Post by beginthrea » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:39:08

under a 2.0.?? kernel (slackware 3.5) I had two ne2000 cards (ISA, w/ io &&
irq hardcoded) running fine.

I installed slack 7.1 with the 2.2.16 kernel and have tried to set up the
same thing to no avail.

/etc/modules.conf I added:

alias eth0
options eth0 ne io=0x300 irq=3

alias eth1
options eth1 ne io=0x340 irq=10

When I run rc.inet1 I get this error when setting up eth1:

eth1: unknown interface: No such device.

What gives?  How else do I need to be setting this up?

Thanks!

eth0 loads fine, but eth1 doesn't

Post by beginthrea » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:52:51

I have also tried:

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x300,0x340 irq=3,10

Quote:> under a 2.0.?? kernel (slackware 3.5) I had two ne2000 cards (ISA, w/ io
&&

Post by Dries van Ooste » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:02:06

> under a 2.0.?? kernel (slackware 3.5) I had two ne2000 cards (ISA, w/ io &&
> irq hardcoded) running fine.

> I installed slack 7.1 with the 2.2.16 kernel and have tried to set up the
> same thing to no avail.

> /etc/modules.conf I added:

> alias eth0
> options eth0 ne io=0x300 irq=3

> alias eth1
> options eth1 ne io=0x340 irq=10

> When I run rc.inet1 I get this error when setting up eth1:

> eth1: unknown interface: No such device.

> What gives?  How else do I need to be setting this up?

I think that with the above /etc/modules.conf, you are trying to load the
ne module twice. The module can't handle being run twice, you have to run
it once, like "modprobe ne io=0x300,0x340" (put this in you
/etc/rc.modules) . Don't add the irq's on the option line. When modprobe
ne succeeds, it returns the appropriate irq's, if it doesn't, you will
notice, because it doesn't return the correct irq's.

Now your /etc/modules.conf would contain lines:
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options eth0 io=0x300
options eth1 io=0x340

If your /etc/rc.inet1 now configures the eth1 interface, everything should
be OK.

So in short, you are probably trying to insmod ne for both NIC, while you
should insmod only one and tell it that there are two NICs. Made the same
mistake *grin*.

Groeten,
Dries

eth0 loads fine, but eth1 doesn't

Post by N. T. Programme » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:02:49

That did it!  Why did the earlier install (only) work with this:

conf.modules:
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x300,0x340 irq=3,10

rc.modules:
/sbin/modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=3
/sbin/modprobe ne io=0x340 irq=10

and now I have to do it this other way, no IRQs anywhere, two "options"
lines in conf.modules, and one modprobe w/ two IOs?

<rant>
I wish they'd have at least one distro that worked the same as the previous
one.  I'd think you should be able to back up all config files, install a
new one, restore the configs and it would still work.  Maybe it would log
"this option xyz works, but the correct new way is abc", but at least it
would work.
</rant>

PS can you send me what my inet1 should look like?  even with my earlier
distro I couldn't get ping to work unless I took one card out and set up
only eth0.

Thanks!

1. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

Hello, I am a linux newbie, and have run into a problem.

I am using RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I built a new kernel (to be used for
firewall purposes).  The kernel built fine and it booted successfully except
that with both eth0 and eth1, the errors "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and
"Delaying eth0 Initialization" come up.  I did not have this problem with
the original kernel.

Both NICs are Linksys LNE100TXs using the 169 chip.  The ipcfg-eth0 and 1
are set to activate on boot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan

2. Time to pick up a "Penguin" and pop it on the desktop...

3. Eth1 works but Eth0 doesn't, help please.

4. ever since 2.5.70 no isapnp for cs4236+

5. XOCR compiles great, loads fine BUT I CAN'T LOAD A BMP

6. Redhat 6.0 installs Pentium kernel on 486

7. Caution: Newbie Question Ahead - Eth0 doesn't load...

8. US-FL-C++/Unix Opportunities

9. eth1 problems - eth0:LAN:tulip eth1:DSL:3c509 w/ipmasq (static IP)

10. etho works fine but eth1 won't receive

11. help: ppp0 'conflicts' with eth0/eth1

12. eth0 and eth1 interfaces using eth0 NIC

13. Need help with my eth0 and eth1 ISA cards (it's not what you think)