Simple "mail" thinks I'm at localhost.localdomain

Post by Ed Skinne » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 02:39:50

     Using simple "mail" in a script, it says I am

message) even though all other facets of the networking software appear to
be properly configured. I wrote a couple of *s and verified that
gethostname(2) and so forth are all returning the configured values, not
"localhost.localdomain".
     One final clue: I can use "nail" (not "mail") with a "-r

accept and forward the message.
     Anyone know where "mail" gets the host's name and domain? ("nail"

     Thanks!

Simple "mail" thinks I'm at localhost.localdomain

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:30:48

>      Using simple "mail" in a script, it says I am

> the message) even though all other facets of the networking software
> appear to be properly configured. I wrote a couple of *s and
> verified that gethostname(2) and so forth are all returning the
> configured values, not "localhost.localdomain".
>      One final clue: I can use "nail" (not "mail") with a "-r

> accept and forward the message.
>      Anyone know where "mail" gets the host's name and domain? ("nail"

You need to configure sendmail properly. In your sendmail.mc file, somewhere
_above_ the MAILER() definitions:

MASQUERADE_AS(`host.com')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl

Rebuild the sendmail.cf file and restart sendmail. Please see
http://www.veryComputer.com/, as
well as reading the cf/README in your distribution.

        tony

--
use hotmail for email replies

Simple "mail" thinks I'm at localhost.localdomain

Simple "mail" thinks I'm at localhost.localdomain

Post by Ed Skinne » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:43:33

>>      Using simple "mail" in a script, it says I am

>> message) even though all other facets of the networking software appear
>> to be properly configured. I wrote a couple of *s and verified
>> that gethostname(2) and so forth are all returning the configured
>> values, not "localhost.localdomain".
>>      One final clue: I can use "nail" (not "mail") with a "-r

>> accept and forward the message.
>>      Anyone know where "mail" gets the host's name and domain? ("nail"

> You need to configure sendmail properly. In your sendmail.mc file,
> somewhere _above_ the MAILER() definitions:

> MASQUERADE_AS(`host.com')dnl
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
> FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl

> Rebuild the sendmail.cf file and restart sendmail. Please see
> http://www.veryComputer.com/, as
> well as reading the cf/README in your distribution.

>         tony

Thanks Tony, that did it. I was not aware that "mail" is *supposed* to say

MTA (such as sendmail) is going to be doing the rewriting (as a
masqueraded host) so my "blame" of "mail" for the problem was wrong. Lucky
for me you understood my problem and gave the correct solution.
Thanks again for your right-on answer!

1. How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

I am using Webmin and Usermin on my Red Hat 8.0 machine and it really is
quite nice. One thing bugs me though, my webim and usermin screens show:

"Version 1.090 on localhost.localdomain (Redhat Linux 8.0)"

I have a FQDN and my apache server is setup for it. Webmin and usermin are
the only things that report this localhost stuff on the screen. Is there a
way to change this so that it actually reports the correct domain name
instead of localhost.localdomain?

This is not a terrible thing but it does bug me a bit. I would like my
users to see something a little more professional than that. <g>

--
~Ohmster

2. SMTP

4. stripping the kernel

6. problems with "ati rage mobility P"

7. changing localdomain to use "mail"?

8. sane and snapscan310

9. "127.1" works, but "localhost" does not!

10. problems piping from "split" to "mail" (split | mail)

11. Sendmail: mails rejected with "550-unrouteable mail domain "blade150.lafr.de""

12. "syslog" and "messages": I think I screwed up!

13. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?