Please see if you can help me with this (Networks)

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I am studying Computer Networks and I could not find any information that
> enabled me to tell whether the following statements were True or False:

>  1. It is possible to share the C:\ directory with all the other nodes of a
>     network in Windows 95.
>  2. A computer cannot be simultaneously in a "peer to peer" network and in a
>     "client/server" network.
>  3. In a "peer to peer" network only one computer can work as a server.
>  4. With Netware 3.11 it is not possible to implement "client/server"
>     networks.
>  5. Local resources are easily shareable in a "client/server" network.
>  6. One of the advantages of "peer to peer" networks is that they are more
>     secure.

> If anybody can help me with some or all of these questions, I would be very
> grateful. Don't need to give long justifications -- a True or False will be
> fine. Just be *fast*, please.

> Jorge Aragao
> Portugal

This is off-topic in comp.os.linux.networking; see the informatinal
articles in news.announce.newusers and news.questions.newusers for how
to use Usenet.

Please see if you can help me with this (Networks)

Post by Jeff » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

1 false
2 false, 2 nics
3 false, all clients are clients/servers
4 completely false
5 of course
6 it only make sense that the client/server is more secure cause of
user-level scurity

> > I am studying Computer Networks and I could not find any information
that
> > enabled me to tell whether the following statements were True or False:

> >  1. It is possible to share the C:\ directory with all the other nodes
of a
> >     network in Windows 95.
> >  2. A computer cannot be simultaneously in a "peer to peer" network and
in a
> >     "client/server" network.
> >  3. In a "peer to peer" network only one computer can work as a server.
> >  4. With Netware 3.11 it is not possible to implement "client/server"
> >     networks.
> >  5. Local resources are easily shareable in a "client/server" network.
> >  6. One of the advantages of "peer to peer" networks is that they are
more
> >     secure.

> > If anybody can help me with some or all of these questions, I would be
very
> > grateful. Don't need to give long justifications -- a True or False
will be
> > fine. Just be *fast*, please.

> > Jorge Aragao
> > Portugal

> This is off-topic in comp.os.linux.networking; see the informatinal
> articles in news.announce.newusers and news.questions.newusers for how
> to use Usenet.

1. please help...! network card not seen

I have a NE2000 compatible ethernet card (ISA slot). How do I get Linux
to recognize
my ethernet card? The machine is connected to a T-1, and Win95 is
co-existing with
Linux.

This is the following message that appears when loading into Linux...

IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
Your ethernet card was not initialized properly.  Here are some reasons
why
thismay have happened, and the solutions:
1. Your kernel does not contain support for your card.  Including all
the
   network drivers in a Linux kernel can make it too large to even boot,
and
   sometimes including extra drivers can cause system hangs.  To support

your
   ethernet, either edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to load the support at
boottime,
   or compile and install a kernel that contains support.
2. You don't have an ethernet card, in which case you should comment out

this
   section of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.  (Unless you don't mind seeing this
error...)
SIOCADDRT: No such device
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
Mounting remote file systems...
Starting daemons: syslogd klogd portmap inetd lpd mountd nfsd
Starting sendmail daemon (/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m)...
Running gpm...

Welcome to Linux 2.0.30.

Require help as soon as possible. Really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. worm

3. Eth0 can't be seen outside box, please help

4. Strange Virtual Memory Errors

5. Linux not seeing all memory (please help)

6. ADVICE to ALL

7. HELP, please:SCSI NEC CD-ROM not seen for install

8. Strange Compiler Error

9. Install help please: OL1.3 sees only 2GB of my LBA's 8GB Maxtor!

10. Help - Network Card Not Seen

11. Seeing school network from private network

12. RH 5.1 Not seeing both Network cards, help!

13. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help