succeeded: mutt work with SMTP server with AUTH

succeeded: mutt work with SMTP server with AUTH

Post by wang yi » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:01:00

Hi :)

  I finally configured my mutt work with postfix to send email through a
relay host that requires AUTH.
  I don't know why sendmail 8.12.5 can't work. I'm tired to figure out
the reason. Now Postfix works for me and I'll use it.

  Tell me tell you about my experience:

0. first, remove your sendmail.
rpm -e sendmail --nodeps
or erase the programs directly.

1. compile postfix with SASL support as described in SASL_README.

% make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/local/include" \
        AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lsasl"

On Solaris 2.x you need to specify run-time link information,
otherwise ld.so will not find the SASL shared library:

% make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/local/include" \
        AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib -lsasl"

change /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include to the directory where your
sasl library is located.

2. Add these lines to your /etc/postfix/main.cf file:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =    #left empty to allow LOGIN mechanism
relayhost = mails.tsinghua.edu.cn       #change this to your relay host

3. edit a password file for login into your relay host. It contains this
line:
Your.Relay.Server           your_auth_login_name:Your_PassWord

4.make the BDB file.
%makemap hash sasl_passwd <sasl_passwd

5. start your postfix programs.
postfix start

infty. Hack with your mutt :)

succeeded: mutt work with SMTP server with AUTH

Post by Raqueeb Hass » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:59:18

Thats cool!

1. mutt and sendmail AUTH works, thank you :)

Thanks to peter pilsl's link
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

I found what I need. I'm using a sendmail 8.12.5-7
which is already installed in my system and I change the configuration
file /etc/sendmail.cf

add or uncomment this line
O DefaultAuthInfo=/etc/mail/default-auth-info

and edit /etc/mail/default-auth-info as follows, which contain 4 lines:
<id on my system>
<auth id on the relay SMTP server>
<auth password on the relay SMTP server>
<relay SMTP server's domain name>

on my system, it looks like:
wy
wang-y01

mails.tsinghua.edu.cn

And it works. Thank you all the kind people!

2. VNC and MS Proxy

3. mutt and SMTP server

4. user@hostname.domain.com

5. mutt and SMTP servers?

6. Thread package

7. How to set sendmail SMTP auth and SMTP SSL on Solaris 9 (x86)

8. Sun's HotJava Browser on Linux

9. SMTP AUTH Not working on Sol8

10. SMTP AUTH WORKING WITH OUTLOOK ALL IS WELL

11. Problems getting SMTP AUTH with sendmail to work

12. Recomendations for SMTP server (with AUTH)

13. Adding SMTP AUTH (+SSL) to any mail server