Queston on iperf to measure throughput between 2 NICs

Queston on iperf to measure throughput between 2 NICs

Post by Wing » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:42:44

Hi,

I've a question regarding measuring the throughput between 2 Intel 1000MT
network cards, which have a throughput of 1000Mbit each.
The cards are connected directly. When I used iperf to test them, it shows a
bandwidth of around 200Mbits only.

How can I get a throughput of 1000Mbits??

Do I need to config the TCP window size of the network cards?

Thanks in advance,
Wing

Post by ynotsso » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:13:18

> Hi,

> I've a question regarding measuring the throughput between 2 Intel 1000MT
> network cards, which have a throughput of 1000Mbit each.
> The cards are connected directly. When I used iperf to test them, it shows a
> bandwidth of around 200Mbits only.

> How can I get a throughput of 1000Mbits??

[...]

Isn't that your 32-bit PCI Bus speed limitation causing the bottleneck?

           tony

Queston on iperf to measure throughput between 2 NICs

Post by Wing » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 02:17:40

Thanks for your reply, so you mean that 32bit 1Gbit NIC won't be able to
  the claimed maximum throughput??

Wing

Post by ynotsso » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 04:29:49

> Thanks for your reply, so you mean that 32bit 1Gbit NIC won't be able to
>   the claimed maximum throughput??

[...]

Not at all.

I'm _suggesting_ that the limitation on your throughput might be caused
by the 32-bit PCI bus speed _rather_than_ the NIC, even though the NIC
itself is capable of 1000Mbps, nothing more.

You should consult the technical specs. for your machines to see if that
is the case.

            tony

1. Measure throughput external to app

Hi All,

I have a client server program that uses UDP sockets. Without changing
anything in the program and only looking at the packets sent out by this
application, I want to measure the throughput that the application is
able to achieve. I want to measure what throughput the application can
support, not what the network or the UDP stack in linux can. Is this
(external observation) a reasonable method to measure throughput in this
case? If yes, are there tools to help do this?

Thanks,
Magesh

2. kgdb enhancements

3. measure throughput?